• Latest reply from zkurd
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

oakwood-jones said:  Accepted into CU-Boulder! I'll save figuring out how to pay for it until another day and just enjoy this moment for now... Stoked!

Stoked for you!
    Good luck with trying to finance it. I am sure you can figure out a way!

2. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

zkurd said:  Got accepted into the M.A. program in Environment and natural resources - focusing on geography at the University of Iceland. Not my first choice but I'll go if I don't get in in Norway.

Yay!
    Crossing fingers for Norway.
    Where in Norway btw?

I am getting stoked on the idea of going back to school. I miss reading scientific articles (scratch that in the fall probably) and learning new stuff. Plus I am super stoked on how much my degree will be about networking etc. Class of 70 students makes for a good 'group feeling'.

3. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09
    I need 100 black coffins for 100 bad men.

Edumacashon   

funinc158 said:  Just registered for the PCAT. Now to figure a good way to get some letters of recommendation.....

Um, ask your O-chem prof?

4. minimal

minimal

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Vancouver BC

Edumacashon   

Just got a letter from the Financial Awards office. Got awarded a scholarship that will take care of a good chunk of next year's tuition. Pretty stoked to say the least. I guess studying hard and sacrificing free time does in fact actually pay off. Who would have thought?  

5. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

Hell ya man, good for you. I just got my financial aid package from Boulder. Attendance is possible if I take out 15,000 in loans for the year AND go on an absolute shoestring budget AND probably still have to work part-time. Massive amounts of hard work are in store, but rather than being scared I'm excited. I feel like I have the potential to absolutely crush this, be the best and get some legit scholarships rolling in for my second year to lessen the financial burden. Ideally anyways... confidence is on my side nonetheless.

6. funinc158

funinc158

Loungin Since Sep '09
    BORE-HIO

Edumacashon   

passing-gas said:

funinc158 said:  Just registered for the PCAT. Now to figure a good way to get some letters of recommendation.....

Um, ask your O-chem prof?

It has to be pharmacy related, I'm asking the two RPhs I work with but Im trying to find a professor I like to ask.

7. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

Good to hear about all your guys' scholarships/financial aid stuff!

8. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico

Loungin Since Jan '10
    leavenworth

Edumacashon   

oakwood-jones said:  Hell ya man, good for you. I just got my financial aid package from Boulder. Attendance is possible if I take out 15,000 in loans for the year AND go on an absolute shoestring budget AND probably still have to work part-time. Massive amounts of hard work are in store, but rather than being scared I'm excited. I feel like I have the potential to absolutely crush this, be the best and get some legit scholarships rolling in for my second year to lessen the financial burden. Ideally anyways... confidence is on my side nonetheless.

Have you decided what you want to major in yet?

9. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

Pretty set on environmental studies, possibly environmental engineering but I'd have some work to put in in order to get accepted into that program. Even though I already have my associates degree my first semester will mostly be comprised of general ed stuff required for graduation that I didn't hit first time around... so there is still a little bit of room to explore before I have to be dead set on a major.

10. Martinus

Martinus

Loungin Since Nov '09
    NL/CH

Edumacashon   

Many people in here are way further with their education than I am(2nd year of university) and there are some pretty smart/experienced dudes in here and since im completely lost...: how did you guys find out what you wanted to study? Or just what you wanted to do with your life?

Im studying biomedical sciences right now but I'm sure now that I don't wanna go into research. There's never really been any study or anything for me that really stood out that I wanted to do.

Someone went through same thing?

11. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Edumacashon   

I took a lot of different classes in a lot of different fields and just chose the one that spoke to me the most.

12. jwhitey

jwhitey

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BC, Canada

Edumacashon   

I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but after a couple months of doing pre-med type courses I knew it wasn't for me. Took an earth science course and loved it, graduated this year. I'll agree with Larry, you'll know when you find something you like, just keep an open mind.

On another note, found out I won an award yesterday. Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Award for Excellence in Geoscience. Apparently only awarded to one student in my program on recommendation from the University. Totally unexpected, but stoked on it!

13. funinc158

funinc158

Loungin Since Sep '09
    BORE-HIO

Edumacashon   

For me, pharmacy was something I was always interested in since I was a kid. I always had that thing in the back of my head that wanted to know how the body did what it does at a molecular level. Like why does low insulin levels cause diabetes. The same thing goes for drugs, how to they fix all the problems with the human body? How does a drug know to go to your liver instead of your fingers since all blood flows around the entire body? Things like that are what drew me to pharmacy.

Somethings I just know I have no care for, like businessy stuff or law (no offense to you bidness or lawyer peoples on the EL), that stuff just doesn't interest me. I guess I'm a science nerd.

14. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico

Loungin Since Jan '10
    leavenworth

Edumacashon   

youknowlarry said: I took a lot of different classes in a lot of different fields and just chose the one that spoke to me the most.

Same here. I did one semester as an architecture major, decided it wasn't for me and started taking a bunch of classes I knew would count towards whatever I ended up majoring in. Gen eds, sciences, maths. I took an introductory course to programming and fell in love. Sounds like you are in a different situation since you are decently far in school. If you really don't know what you want to do, and go to a major university, do your bank account a favor and switch to a community college to test the waters. No need to be paying top shelf bucks when you are just hitting the buffet.

15. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

I took a year off after highschool to figure it out. Lived the dream, did a 100 day snowboarding season in Whistler. I realized that I wanted to work internationally or at least manage projects on an international level. Figured only way to get there is to have a basic understanding of business. Did my Bachelors in International Business and really enjoyed it. Figuring out in what direction I now want to go (ie which company I want to work for in what field) is a whole different story though, haha. Having a hard time with that, too.
    Starting my masters in International management and hopefully figure out which area interests me most. Always thought marketing but worked in it now for a year and it's annoying me. Wanna try supply chain management since I have always had a things for logistics, planes and ships.

16. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

Edumacashon   

eva said: I took a year off after highschool to figure it out. Lived the dream, did a 100 day snowboarding season in Whistler.

I want to do that so bad! But I guess I'm saving that for after my bachelors.

Even though I am not in university yet, as an arts student I do not have a set goal on what I want to do after 4 years. However, the plan is to major in what I intrinsically enjoy best after trying out multiple courses in first year.

Speaking of which, today I am going to accept an offer. I just have to make a couple calls first.

17. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico

Loungin Since Jan '10
    leavenworth

Edumacashon   

I would take a year off before college if I was you DanDan.

I always thought I would try to take a semester or year off to do something before entering the real world (snowboarding, camping, surf bum) but now that I am doing all these internships, I know I'm going to get a job offer before I even graduate. It would be stupid to turn them down to bum, but would be so fun. The reasonable person inside me would never turn them down though.

18. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

Edumacashon   

I know we have been through this before, but I would feel like I had lost a year in my life if I spent it being a bum (don't get me wrong, I would love to do it).

Realistically, I will have time to shred during first year. And after my bachelors there is a small chance I will be busy with job offers.

I would rather get it done and then shred after its done. I probably seem crazy to you guys right now.

19. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico

Loungin Since Jan '10
    leavenworth

Edumacashon   

I felt the same way before I went to school. I guess with art it's different, but I feel like if I took a year off with no programming after college I would be rusty as fuck. Also, looking for a job vs just becoming full time with a company you've interned with during college is a big deal for me. But again, I'm sure it's different for other majors.

20. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

Edumacashon   

Ron Mexico said: I felt the same way before I went to school. I guess with art it's different, but I feel like if I took a year off with no programming after college I would be rusty as fuck. Also, looking for a job vs just becoming full time with a company you've interned with during college is a big deal for me. But again, I'm sure it's different for other majors.

School is something I really enjoy. If I'm taking a program I like there is no doubt the work is going to be easy and enjoyable. Many don't understand my motivation for going to school. Realistically (while its in the back of my head), I am not going to do 4 years of school to get a job. And that is hard to comprehend for most.

The reality is, my chances of getting a job after four years are slim. My degree is not going to get me a job right after school. It is going to be the "first step" towards employment. Therefore, I'm going to have many options after 4 years depending on where I want to go (whether that will be more schooling or more experience).  

21. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico

Loungin Since Jan '10
    leavenworth

Edumacashon   

Enjoy your path DanDan

22. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

Edumacashon   

Ron Mexico said: Enjoy your path DanDan

Thanks dude.

Just accepted my offer, one business day confirmation and I am going to university in the fall.

23. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

Which school? Man I wish I had the luxury of going to school just for the joy of learning. Slightly jealous. I mean that will be a big part of it for me but I need to be just as focused on coming out with a job on the other end otherwise I'm financially fucked.

24. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico

Loungin Since Jan '10
    leavenworth

Edumacashon   

Boulder. No regrets brother

25. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

Oh hell yea. I'm old enough to know what I want to get out of school this time around but certainly not old enough that I can't enjoy it too.

26. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

dandan said: I know we have been through this before, but I would feel like I had lost a year in my life if I spent it being a bum (don't get me wrong, I would love to do it).

Best time of my life. Grew up a ton, saw the world, had fun, met amazing people.

Would do it all over again. And I would also go back to school again right after it. A year off is not a loss of time. You will work for the rest of your life!

27. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

Where I went to school. Nicely filmed.

28. DanDan

DanDan

Loungin Since Jul '11

Edumacashon   

eva said:

dandan said: I know we have been through this before, but I would feel like I had lost a year in my life if I spent it being a bum (don't get me wrong, I would love to do it).

Best time of my life. Grew up a ton, saw the world, had fun, met amazing people.
    Would do it all over again. And I would also go back to school again right after it. A year off is not a loss of time. You will work for the rest of your life!

Just saw this now! You make me jealous.

I think I want to go to uni next year but I'm probably going to change my course again.

29. minimal

minimal

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Vancouver BC

Edumacashon   

dandan said: I know we have been through this before, but I would feel like I had lost a year in my life if I spent it being a bum

Education comes in so many different forms. A year spent away from institutional learning can be more productive in terms of personal growth than four years spent earning a degree.

Our society is quite messed up right now with regards to education in my opinion. It's drilled into our heads to graduate high school then immediately go into college/university, get that degree and get working on that career. The problem with that is who the hell is even remotely sure of what they want to do when in high school? Very, very few. I've seen too many friends come out of university with their degrees and immediately go do something totally different, essentially wasting the last four years. So what's a bigger waste? Diving directly into post-secondary learning and not using that degree or waiting a year or two (or many more for that matter) to figure out what you really want to do and then having that degree actually be useful once you graduate?

30. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

minimal said:

dandan said: I know we have been through this before, but I would feel like I had lost a year in my life if I spent it being a bum

Education comes in so many different forms. A year spent away from institutional learning can be more productive in terms of personal growth than four years spent earning a degree.
    Our society is quite messed up right now with regards to education in my opinion. It's drilled into our heads to graduate high school then immediately go into college/university, get that degree and get working on that career. The problem with that is who the hell is even remotely sure of what they want to do when in high school? Very, very few. I've seen too many friends come out of university with their degrees and immediately go do something totally different, essentially wasting the last four years. So what's a bigger waste? Diving directly into post-secondary learning and not using that degree or waiting a year or two (or many more for that matter) to figure out what you really want to do and then having that degree actually be useful once you graduate?

word.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Car Thread. (Pics Encouraged) - 23556557558 16729 Dr. Dre shinobi 3 minutes
Nico interview 29 drjcv kaston 20 minutes
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23456 176 awd1105 Supra 1 hour
Cross Country Travel 5 HIHaole JLD 1 hour
WTB: Channel inserts + hardware 5 notmikebuckley NatasKaput 1 hour
WILL SIZE 11 NIKE BOOTS FIT IN SIZE MEDIUM EST BINDINGS????? CIRCLE YES OR NO!!! 19 passing gas notmikebuckley 3 hours
hey ashy! 3 goggles ashy larry 3 hours
The Official Rome Thread - 23171819 563 Spenser highme 3 hours
The Official 2016 Thread - 2 37 whoisminishred loeleol 3 hours
Unions vs. rome 390's ??? 6 LTshredTN LTshredTN 4 hours