• Latest reply from rossco23
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. Squib

Squib

Loungin Since Oct '09
    San Jose

Edumacashon   

Kirkwood is actually pretty fun, and it's close to Davis. Plus they usually get a cabin up there which is super cheap when you split with tons of people. Check out the other trips. I think they do both socal and norcal. One is at mammoth other is at tahoe. Lots of fun and still have competitions between all the UCs. Those trips are a lot cheaper too. But $600 for 4 days tickets + bus ride + slopeside lodging + fun parties is hard to beat.  

Plus group tickets to kwood are like $10-20 cheaper than normal

2. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Edumacashon   

Kirkwood is an awesome place to ride. Went there a lot as a kid, was one of my dad's favorite places to ride.

3. Alkasquawlik

Alkasquawlik

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I'm only here for the après

Edumacashon   

I've been to Kirkwood a couple times since my family has friend's that own a cabin near there.
    I never got to love it though, I dunno, maybe it's just me. Plus I hate driving up 50 to get to south lake resorts, I'd much rather drive up 80.

I know the SOS club does about 4-5 cabin trips up to Tahoe a year, and I know they did one to Mammoth last year, but the thing is is that I already have a season pass to Northstar/Sierra, a couple places to stay in Truckee, and a car. Even to go on the cabin trips, it's like $40-60 for the cabin, plus gas money, plus the ticket which even with a discounted rate comes out to lets say $30-40 or so. So it comes out to an expensive weekend even when I could just spend the money for gas and some food and roll up to Truckee with some of my good friends.
    I've promised myself I'd go on a cabin trip at least once though to experience it.

4. Squib

Squib

Loungin Since Oct '09
    San Jose

Edumacashon   

Try to do one of the ones where they go with other schools, they're a ton of fun. Plus those ones all the party stuff is at a cabin so no need to be 21. They do like flip cup, boat race, thumper, dirty dancing, etc competitions that are a ton of fun. Really something you have to experience.
    Try to make allcal some year. The best snow I've ever had was at those, both Fernie and Whitefish were AMAZING. The shitshow that is allcal is something in itself too. When is the last time you spent 20+ hours on a bus drinking with people? Great way to meet people.

5. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Edumacashon   

alkasquawlik said: I've been to Kirkwood a couple times since my family has friend's that own a cabin near there.
    I never got to love it though, I dunno, maybe it's just me. Plus I hate driving up 50 to get to south lake resorts, I'd much rather drive up 80.
    I know the SOS club does about 4-5 cabin trips up to Tahoe a year, and I know they did one to Mammoth last year, but the thing is is that I already have a season pass to Northstar/Sierra, a couple places to stay in Truckee, and a car. Even to go on the cabin trips, it's like $40-60 for the cabin, plus gas money, plus the ticket which even with a discounted rate comes out to lets say $30-40 or so. So it comes out to an expensive weekend even when I could just spend the money for gas and some food and roll up to Truckee with some of my good friends.
    I've promised myself I'd go on a cabin trip at least once though to experience it.

you gotta hate 50 for sure!! 80 is the way to go.

6. JMSM512

JMSM512

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Mass

Edumacashon   

alkasquawlik said:  ok thanks to everyone for all your input.
    as for grad school, i've been kinda tossing the idea around in my head ever since i got home this summer. i wasn't planning on going because i'm not a huge fan of school, i'm more of a visual/hands on learner so i feel i could learn more by working in a real environment.
    however, after getting back from LA, i kinda feel that I should.
    how important is your GPA in getting into grad school? i was talking to some of the guys i worked with, and they said that work experience and your score on your GMAT (or whatever it is), is looked at more closely than your undergrad GPA.
    if/when i did go to grad school, i would go work in the real world for a few years before applying.
    Anyone done a CPA or CFA instead of getting a masters?

I think it depends on how much experience you have after your undergrad. I graduated from undergrad in '02 and started an MBA program last fall. My GPA was decent, but they didn't look at that at all. GMAT and experience were more important.

I never thought I'd be going back to school, especially for an MBA (I was a psych/spanish undergrad), but I'm here now.

I know some people who have studied for their CFA instead of going for an MBA and some others who have/are doing both. I heard the CFA and CPA are both pretty intense.

7. Squib

Squib

Loungin Since Oct '09
    San Jose

Edumacashon   

Also, I'd keep on trying to keep those internships going. Most of my roommates are econ/finance majors at Wharton and their job outlooks aren't exactly looking great, especially for investment banking/wall street. Last year most firms canceled their interviews here and I don't think the outlook is a ton better for this year.

8. funinc158

funinc158

Loungin Since Sep '09
    BORE-HIO

Edumacashon   

College is fun except for Midterms and Finals. Chemistry midterm tomorrow and I should be studying, but I'm not cause I'm tired of it.

9. Alkasquawlik

Alkasquawlik

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

squib said:  Try to do one of the ones where they go with other schools, they're a ton of fun. Plus those ones all the party stuff is at a cabin so no need to be 21. They do like flip cup, boat race, thumper, dirty dancing, etc competitions that are a ton of fun. Really something you have to experience.
    Try to make allcal some year. The best snow I've ever had was at those, both Fernie and Whitefish were AMAZING. The shitshow that is allcal is something in itself too. When is the last time you spent 20+ hours on a bus drinking with people? Great way to meet people.

Ya, I'd love to go, it just really comes down to the money situation.
    I'll go one of these days.

As for the internships, I talked to the management at the LA office I was at over the summer before I left and I'm fairly confident that I can work for them again next summer, or at the San Francisco office. I know how important they are, so I'm trying to get as much experience as I can.

10. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Edumacashon   

aprox. 1/3 of the presentation done.

11. Mac

Mac

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Seattle

Edumacashon   

optionrider said: Business school at McGill is fucking difficult. I just finished my midterms this past friday and have been drunk pretty much the entire weekend. Nothing more needs to be said.

McGill is one of my top choices

I will be finishing more than half of my college apps this week, I am stoked to get that out of the way.

I also have had no motivation to study at all, I am just going through the motions. Somehow I am still getting by with pretty good grades.

12. kaston

kaston

Loungin Since Oct '09
    painfully unfunny and clueless

Edumacashon   

it's 8:30pm and i'm the only one left in my lab. i'm writing a MATLAB program. overall though, i like academia. for now, the less money more flexible schedule tradeoff is pretty good.

13. PDX..inc

PDX..inc

Loungin Since Oct '09
    PDX

Edumacashon   

squib said:  Also, I'd keep on trying to keep those internships going. Most of my roommates are econ/finance majors at Wharton and their job outlooks aren't exactly looking great, especially for investment banking/wall street. Last year most firms canceled their interviews here and I don't think the outlook is a ton better for this year.

I'm currently in my sophomore year as an undergrad pre-business major, and i will have completed my prereq's at the end of winter term, and was planning on going ahead and officially applying to the business school, but have been questioning my major choice recently. This makes me even more apprehensive. Scary to think that even guys who go places like UPenn are struggling to find suitable jobs.

14. jwhitey

jwhitey

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BC, Canada

Edumacashon   

Looking through this, wow, lots of business majors. Its all about the sciences! Jobs are aplenty!

15. Squib

Squib

Loungin Since Oct '09
    San Jose

Edumacashon   

If you like it go for it. My roommates will find jobs, just not $100k+ wall street ones. Having to work 80+ hours a week doesn't even make it that great, you just have to get through the first ~5 years till your hours go down...

16. Squib

Squib

Loungin Since Oct '09
    San Jose

Edumacashon   

Haha seriously. I'm a chemist and jobs are still out there despite everything.

17. Lomax

Lomax

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BozAngeles

Edumacashon   

Dad says I went to the mountains and got a degree on the side. I guess he was right.

18. Billy

Billy

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Mammoth

Edumacashon   

yay for another business major. Im a sophomore at unr. I love being able to ride all day and then drive to reno for night classes. im not really sure what is going to happen after I graduate but ill figure that one out someday.

red-baron said:  Kirkwood is an awesome place to ride. Went there a lot as a kid, was one of my dad's favorite places to ride.

I love kirkwood. I used to ride there every weekend when I was a little kid as it was one of the closest places to the bay area. Maybe its just because I know it so well and its like riding in my backyard but it is my favorite place in tahoe.

19. Alkasquawlik

Alkasquawlik

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

billy said: yay for another business major. Im a sophomore at unr. I love being able to ride all day and then drive to reno for night classes. im not really sure what is going to happen after I graduate but ill figure that one out someday.

red-baron said:  Kirkwood is an awesome place to ride. Went there a lot as a kid, was one of my dad's favorite places to ride.

I love kirkwood. I used to ride there every weekend when I was a little kid as it was one of the closest places to the bay area. Maybe its just because I know it so well and its like riding in my backyard but it is my favorite place in tahoe.

I was so close to going to UNR. I had my deposit down for a dorm room and everything, and then I found out I was accepted at UCD.
    I would've loved to be able to ride every single day.

20. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Edumacashon   

On the home stretch but loosing steam.

21. ttocsxela

ttocsxela

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Sacramento

Edumacashon   

too many hot chicks

22. Mac

Mac

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Seattle

Edumacashon   

I just applied to 4 schools. Hooray!

23. Alkasquawlik

Alkasquawlik

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

what schools?

24. Mac

Mac

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Seattle

Edumacashon   

McGill, Seattle U, Denver U, U of Portland
    still have CU Boulder, UBC, and UW to go.

25. Adam

Adam

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Dirty Jersey

Edumacashon   

My best friend is at the University of Portland now. He loves it.

26. jwhitey

jwhitey

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BC, Canada

Edumacashon   

UBC-O ftw! Although we don't have mountains of the same caliber like utah or colorado do. McGill would be an awesome school, a degree from there would be excellent but you're stuck in Montreal. (which probably has some great urban places, but little choice for actual mountains). Also, the Quebecois aren't the friendliest of people especially if you are American and don't speak a word of French, because they are sometimes rude to Canadians who can actually speak some french.

27. JP

JP

Loungin Since Aug '09
    eh BC

Edumacashon   

BC mtns pwn utah and colorado

28. hatter

hatter

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Cleveland sucks my taint!

Edumacashon   

All I have to say is enjoy college while your there to the fullest. After that it's just work and paying bills. I would love to be back there right about now. Yeah, midterms and finals suck, but the in between times are definitely worth it.

29. Mac

Mac

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Seattle

Edumacashon   

jwhitey said:  UBC-O ftw! Although we don't have mountains of the same caliber like utah or colorado do. McGill would be an awesome school, a degree from there would be excellent but you're stuck in Montreal. (which probably has some great urban places, but little choice for actual mountains). Also, the Quebecois aren't the friendliest of people especially if you are American and don't speak a word of French, because they are sometimes rude to Canadians who can actually speak some french.

I took french immersion from age 5-15, K-10th grade. But I still hate it, and am not the best at it.
    Montreal is just a sick city, yeah the riding doesn't compare to out west, but the city and the quality of the school more than make up for that.

30. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Edumacashon   

I still don't know in which order I should choose my exchange schools, ah!

I passed both my exams last week. I think I have a talent to pass exams I have no right passing because I don't know shit. I wish I would put more effort into school. I'd actually be pretty decent. I just think there are more important things in life. Like.. procrastination.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Boot quest. 14 89c51 cav0011 59 minutes
Watch "Higher" for 24 hours 8 ILboarder12 wino 2 hours
FS/FT: 2013 Burton Fishcuit (Black Scales) 24 LilTeichMonster crutan 3 hours
Jones Snowboards - 23333435 1040 Supra Spenser 4 hours
The L1 Thread - 23363738 1128 ryanppax nca777 7 hours
The official Never Summer thread - 23678 227 JpBergeron Spenser 8 hours