• 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. pastaboy

pastaboy

Loungin Since Aug '09
    perth

Edumacashon   

horse-repairman said:

pastaboy said: @squib, i was watching a phillies v dodgers game yesterday. didn't see the end result. how'd it go?  

Not sure which game you were watching because I guess there was a tape delay, but there is an 80% the Phillies won. They win that series 4 games to 1. You should know this, futureboy.
    Wednesday is game one of the World Series vs the Yankees    

yeah, not sure either. it's never live or even close. we take what we can get, i quite like baseball.  

2. Squib

Squib

Loungin Since Oct '09
    San Jose

Edumacashon   

I was at game 4 and it was crazy. Best game I've ever seen in person.
    Anyone trying to go to world series? I'm probably going to try to get last minute tickets if they're anywhere around $200, but with new york in now I don't really see that happening.

3. Horse Repairman

Horse Repairman

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edumacashon   

Standing room tickets will drill you for about $600. Bad seats are about $1300. Good seats are going for $3000 or more.

What regular fan could honestly justify those prices?  

4. pastaboy

pastaboy

Loungin Since Aug '09
    perth

Edumacashon   

game 7 of a world series would be something to see.  

5. Horse Repairman

Horse Repairman

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edumacashon   

With the Phillies in it? Nonsense. Phillies will have won it by Game 6.

Also, I suppose we should keep a spoiler warning up about the world series until you've seen it.

6. pastaboy

pastaboy

Loungin Since Aug '09
    perth

Edumacashon   

that'd be good.  

7. Squib

Squib

Loungin Since Oct '09
    San Jose

Edumacashon   

Standing only were going for $300-350 last time I checked. Take a look at stubhub. If I had a real job maybe I could justify it, but unless its a game where phillies had a chance to win it all I don't see how I could justify over $200. Would rather expand my quiver of one.  

8. Squib

Squib

Loungin Since Oct '09
    San Jose

Edumacashon   

I stand corrected. Prices went insane over the last week. Stupid yankees

9. Horse Repairman

Horse Repairman

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edumacashon   

It's all front row on my plasma, and tickets don't cost more than a pizza and a beer.

10. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Edumacashon   

squib said:  

alkasquawlik said: so this a question more geared towards the people who have graduated college.
    how important was your GPA in getting you a job after school compared to let's say internships/connections you have?

In my experience connections are much more important than GPA, at least to a point.

Same thing in my experience. Jobs have been from people that I have had connections with. My GPA was not amazing as well but I got into grad-school off a good interview and connections.

11. Zapp B.

Zapp B.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    That's one small step for sloths, one giant leap for slothkind

Edumacashon   

I think rich/influential parents are more important than GPA and connections. Now, all I need are rich/influential parents.  

12. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

Edumacashon   

Remember how hard I was dgafing about school last night? I slept through class this morning. I'm on a fucking roll.

13. Lhoosh

Lhoosh

Loungin Since Sep '09
    cubicle

Edumacashon   

connections > grades

14. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Edumacashon   

zapp-b said:  I think rich/influential parents are more important than GPA and connections. Now, all I need are rich/influential parents.  

I need some of those as well. Well influential at least. Rich definitely would be nice but most rich kids I have met cannot take care of themselves.

15. Squib

Squib

Loungin Since Oct '09
    San Jose

Edumacashon   

Also, once you're a year or two out of college, jobs could care less. Only grad school or something like that will care at all at that point. However, right now with the economy in the tank it probably matters a little more than normal for landing first real jobs out of college.

16. jwhitey

jwhitey

Loungin Since Oct '09
    BC, Canada

Edumacashon   

lhoosh said: connections > grades

completely agreed in a lot of cases. According to a prof of mine (in a small class), he refused to write reference letters for antisocial straight A students looking to go to grad school, he said he would rather refer any B students who actually were sociable.

17. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

Edumacashon   

So your professor knows his students well enough to be able to decide who is socially active and who is not?

18. 059

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

red-baron said:

zapp-b said:  I think rich/influential parents are more important than GPA and connections. Now, all I need are rich/influential parents.  

I need some of those as well. Well influential at least. Rich definitely would be nice but most rich kids I have met cannot take care of themselves.

influential = rich. Unless your sister's been banging the dean and he doesn't want his wife to know. Otherwise in America the two go hand in hand.

19. Eli9422

Eli9422

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ☮ne L☮ve

Edumacashon   

What about sexually active?

20. JP

JP

Loungin Since Aug '09
    eh BC

Edumacashon   

junglelarry said: So your professor knows his students well enough to be able to decide who is socially active and who is not?

we go to a very small university and we are a part of a even smaller program

21. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

Edumacashon   

jp said:

junglelarry said: So your professor knows his students well enough to be able to decide who is socially active and who is not?

we go to a very small university

Does that matter? I guess your professor knows who is antisocial just by noticing who shows up to office hours.  

22. Alkasquawlik

Alkasquawlik

Loungin Since Oct '09
    I'm only here for the après

Edumacashon   

ok thanks to everyone for all your input.

as for grad school, i've been kinda tossing the idea around in my head ever since i got home this summer. i wasn't planning on going because i'm not a huge fan of school, i'm more of a visual/hands on learner so i feel i could learn more by working in a real environment.

however, after getting back from LA, i kinda feel that I should.
    how important is your GPA in getting into grad school? i was talking to some of the guys i worked with, and they said that work experience and your score on your GMAT (or whatever it is), is looked at more closely than your undergrad GPA.
    if/when i did go to grad school, i would go work in the real world for a few years before applying.

Anyone done a CPA or CFA instead of getting a masters?

23. death_ember

death_ember

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Don't google "Blue Waffle". DON'T.

Edumacashon   

I go to school cause I gotta finish my carpentry major and do something with my life. That, and I get kicked out of football and lacrosse if I skip too much. But with the end of football season and the snow coming, I can see my attendance dropping off sharply...

24. JP

JP

Loungin Since Aug '09
    eh BC

Edumacashon   

junglelarry said:

jp said:

we go to a very small university

Does that matter? I guess your professor knows who is antisocial just by noticing who shows up to office hours.  

Meh, the prof is a joke regardless

25. red baron

red baron

Loungin Since Aug '09
    California

Edumacashon   

trying to finish the second paper from the weekend...round 2 here we go.

26. JLD

JLD

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Emerald City

Edumacashon   

alkasquawlik said: so this a question more geared towards the people who have graduated college.
    how important was your GPA in getting you a job after school compared to let's say internships/connections you have?

I majored in Marketing and I am in the C's = Degrees category of students. GPA can be important, but experience goes a lot further I think. I worked in shops throughout college and because of my connections I got an awesome job as a marketing director of a small ski hill. Now I work in marketing for an industrial company which is a great fit for me, the money is good, and its fun. I got this job because I went to college with two people who at the time worked here.

I do wish I would have made better connections in college, such as career fairs and internships. I wasn't required to do an internship, so of course I didn't even try to do one, which now I regret.

Just find the right balance of work/play - you'll figure it out.

27. Squib

Squib

Loungin Since Oct '09
    San Jose

Edumacashon   

Alkas, do you hang out with ski and snowboard club at davis at all? Just saw you were there in another thread. I've hung out with some of them before and they're pretty fun. Plus Norcal/Socal trips they do with other UCs are a ton of fun.

28. Alkasquawlik

Alkasquawlik

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

squib said:  Alkas, do you hang out with ski and snowboard club at davis at all? Just saw you were there in another thread. I've hung out with some of them before and they're pretty fun. Plus Norcal/Socal trips they do with other UCs are a ton of fun.

I'm not a part of the club, but I do know a bunch of staff and people that are in it. I just never joined because there really wasn't anything they offered that would've helped me out, plus I think they put way more emphasis on partying than they do actual riding. But I do hang out with some of them, and some of the parties they throw are pretty fun.
    I'm on the davis snowboard team though, just not the club.

Where are you from?

29. Squib

Squib

Loungin Since Oct '09
    San Jose

Edumacashon   

I went to UCSB, graduated in '08 but now in Philly for school. Went on Allcal the last 2 years (Fernie + whitefish) and would definitely recommend you do it. Best trip ever.  

Ended up meeting some davis people though and boarding with them a bit. They love kirkwood.

30. Alkasquawlik

Alkasquawlik

Loungin Since Oct '09

Edumacashon   

squib said:  I went to UCSB, graduated in '08 but now in Philly for school. Went on Allcal the last 2 years (Fernie + whitefish) and would definitely recommend you do it. Best trip ever.  
    Ended up meeting some davis people though and boarding with them a bit. They love kirkwood.

Ya, the AllCal trip this year is to Park City, Utah which would be super fun to go on, but right now I can't justify spending the $600 it costs to go on it. Too much money for me, I'd definitely like to go though.

and ya, for some reason they do like Kirkwood. I have no idea why it's their bread and butter.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Unions vs. rome 390's ??? 8 LTshredTN LTshredTN 1 hour
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23567 182 awd1105 Spenser 2 hours
Cloudspliter?!???!! 4 NugFlutie soymateo 3 hours
The Car Thread. (Pics Encouraged) - 23556557558 16731 Dr. Dre buggravy 6 hours
Nico interview - 2 31 drjcv drjcv 8 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23862863864 25913 TahoeChappy zkurd 9 hours
The Official Rome Thread - 23171819 564 Spenser tekniq33 10 hours
Official Bicycle Thread - 23127128129 3867 red baron shinobi 11 hours
Cross Country Travel 5 HIHaole JLD 12 hours
WTB: Channel inserts + hardware 5 notmikebuckley NatasKaput 13 hours