Burton custom fv 2013 vs. burton sherlock 2013!?!

(81 posts) (19 voices)
  • Started 2 years ago by unique8
  • Latest reply from JonesMorgan
take me to the bottom
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

unique8

Loungin Since Sep '12
    IBK

cant decide between the custom fv and the new sherlock and really need some help!
    has anybody ridden both and could give a short review on which board he liked more?
    on the tech side both seem to be quite similar besides of sideeffects and smooth ride on the sherlock. the custom seems to have the better base with WFO and lighningbolts, thats all..
    ive got a joystick for park and want something with more Response that handles everything from park to pow!
    i live in austria, we had a great winter last year with lots of pow so im really interested if the sherlock float so much better than the custom and what about the edgehold on icy conditions?
    hope you could understand my crippled english!

peace

2. phony_stark

phony_stark

Loungin Since Dec '10
    oakland, ca

Get a custom flying sherlock.

(I'm sure someone will weigh in soon.)  

3. User has not uploaded an avatar

unique8

Loungin Since Sep '12
    IBK

how long have you been waiting to find the perfect thread to post this? :D

4. phony_stark

phony_stark

Loungin Since Dec '10
    oakland, ca

Just that clever, I suppose ;)

The opportunity presented itself, I seized it.

5. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK NICO

unique8 said: cant decide between the custom fv and the new sherlock and really need some help!
    has anybody ridden both and could give a short review on which board he liked more?
    on the tech side both seem to be quite similar besides of sideeffects and smooth ride on the sherlock. the custom seems to have the better base with WFO and lighningbolts, thats all..
    ive got a joystick for park and want something with more Response that handles everything from park to pow!
    i live in austria, we had a great winter last year with lots of pow so im really interested if the sherlock float so much better than the custom and what about the edgehold on icy conditions?
    hope you could understand my crippled english!
    peace

OK so it looks like you've done some research checking out specs and what not but haven't really grasped any useful info from it, which is understandable

firstly they, like most snowboards will work in any conditions. trying to quantify their hold in icy conditions is probably impossible, ask 10 people get ten different answers kind of thing (or at least a 50/50 split)

here is what might get lost in the marketing bafflegab and technobabble though

the sherlock was designed to float better in pow than your average snowboard.other snowboards might be quite similar (i mean by having flying v same waist widths etc) but what makes it uniquely suited to pow is the reverse sidecut at the tips (named side effects by Burton). this allows for a bigger area than snowboards with traditional shapes and that combined with the mellow kick SEEMS to make it ride better in pow, according to most folks that ride it, and myself anyway. I stand by my statement that it is the best twin shaped (or almost twin shaped) board I've ever used in pow. it seems that the Burton engineers gave the board are very tight sidecut (smaller radius than average) to either compensate for that width at the ends, or that's necessary to create it, who knows.

now do those attributes that make it better in pow than the average similar board result in any specific downsides compared to the custom flying V? I doubt it, not that anyone would notice in regards to just general ripping around on the mountain. i'm sure they do ride slightly different, and the flexes are slightly different, but anyone with a reasonable amount of skill will just figure it out and make the board do what they want it to.

so IMO if you do encounter a fair bit of pow, or endeavor to, i'd get the sherlock. if your day is spent mostly on icy groomers and in the park etc and you occasionally ride pow, get the custom

6. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

I use the Sherlock as my powder board, just sayin'. I rode it on a 65cm of fresh day last year and was fine.
    I normally ride between a 162 &164 (I'm 189cm, 70kg) but I spent all of last year on the 160....with a centered stance! I couldn't believe it. 160 rhandles like a 157, but floats like a 165(to me). I haven't tried the 2013's but have demoed the custom fv, a couple of years ago. I personally am not a fan of the custom shape - it is truly a great board that can handle all conditions, but I never feel like ,"holy crap, I LOVE this board".
    I have ridden some of the resorts around Innsbruck and if I lived there I would still have a Sherlock.
    Here's a video of me on the Sherlock in pow:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

7. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

i'd rather be on the sherlock. super sick looking board.

8. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

So Sherlock is slightly softer than Custom?

9. JLD

JLD

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Emerald City

Black and white Sherlock Blackjack... moar float (side effects), plus looks hawt. You already have a Joystick that excels in the park and can still do everything else. The Sherlock excels in pow and can still ride the whole mountain and play in the park. Your quiver of two is complete.

10. ShredlockHolmes

ShredlockHolmes

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Michigan

jld said: Black and white Sherlock Blackjack... moar float (side effects), plus looks hawt. You already have a Joystick that excels in the park and can still do everything else. The Sherlock excels in pow and can still ride the whole mountain and play in the park. Your quiver of two is complete.

I love the look of that board, I want one just to be able to stare at it all day.

11. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

to me, it seems like the tail of the topsheet is wearing a condom. it's not that noticeable with other colour schemes

12. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK NICO

its not quite as black and cool in person, the topsheet is sort of see through. ive notice people saying the sherlocks in general look rad but i dunno, i think they are kind of boring, last years were rad. i like burtons new construction though, it seems like they kind of did away with the extra topsheet layer or something  

13. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

i agree, i like last year's better

14. User has not uploaded an avatar

unique8

Loungin Since Sep '12
    IBK

it has been my first year in innsbruck and i had 35+powdays last season so the sherlock maybe seems to be a good choice after it excels great in powder and also in addition to my joystick!
    but when coming to its allmountain ability ive read a lot of bad things about the edgehold of the flying v shape..isnt it really much better than the edgehold on my vrocker joystick?
    how does it excel in the park on jumps and boxes and is there anything need to be said about the pop?

the graphics on the black'n'black ones look sick, but with my 11,5 boots it got to be a wide one ;)
    cant decide between the 158w and 160w... any suggestions? ;) im 184cm (hope most of you are used to the metric system) tall and my wight is 167lbs

15. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK NICO

i rode a hero, then a joystick, and then the sherlock. its never very icy around here, but i have no issues with the edge hold on the sherlock,to me on groomers and non pow days it feels more like a cambered snowboard than either the joystick or the hero did

id go 58 for you

16. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

edgehold is fine. people who complain about edgehold don't know how to snowboard

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Loungin Since Aug '10
    Newport Beach, CA

supra said:  edgehold is fine. people who complain about edgehold don't know how to snowboard

LOL! Don't you live in Hokkaido? What do you know about hard pack? ;)

18. Supra

Supra

Loungin Since Nov '09
    ~ENABLER~

no, not hokkaido. close to Hakuba.

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Loungin Since Aug '10
    Newport Beach, CA

IMO, the custom may be a better choice for you if you are looking for a little bit more of an all around board. It has a much more aggressive edge profile and will offer up a bit more on the wind blown hard pack days. On pow days, just move yourself an inch or two back on the sidecut and your good. Plus, It sounds like you already have the loose playful board covered in the Joystick...

Here's pic of the Sherlock blackjack mentioned above...

20. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK NICO

What do you mean by edge profile?

21. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Loungin Since Aug '10
    Newport Beach, CA

drjcv said:  What do you mean by edge profile?

Effective edge, running length, & side cut.

22. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK NICO

It has a more aggressive sidecut?

23. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho

Loungin Since Aug '10
    Newport Beach, CA

drjcv said:  It has a more aggressive sidecut?

Doc, both boards (in equal length) are very similar in flex and torsional flex but differ greatly at the contact points, right? The 160 Custom has much more effective edge and running length in contact with the snow (120cm/124cm with an 8.1m sidecut radius) then the 160 Sherlock. The Sherlock being a board designed to lean towards pow, has much less board in contact with the snow (97cm/115cm with a 6.4m sidecut radius) when on ice because it has much more nose and tail for float. The custom's edge blend area (running length edge vs effective edge) is less then an inch. The Sherlock's blend area is almost 7.5". It has almost 4" of additional nose and tail radius when lying flat that the Custom does not have. That's one reason so many people find it is so twitchy on hardpack when transitioning from flat to edge, It's profile is designed to float not carve crud...            

24. DAS

DAS

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Winter forgot about us

Funny. I found the CFV "twitchy" on hard pack. I hated that board, and especially on hard pack. I loved and now own a Sherlock. That thing is so fun. It feels super nimble and predictable, can float well and easily charge all-mtn. The sidecut is tight but I like it so much more than the CFV. Not really my idea of a park board but it can be done. Everyone I know who has been on a Sherlock has really enjoyed it.
    My 2 cents. Like Doc said, I'm sure you will hear different opinions.

25. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK NICO

I would say its the opposite that is true. The Sherlock has giant contact points at each end ( almost 4 cm opposed to less than 2 on average) so I feel it rails incredibly hard. I feel that you can really lock those points in ( like a contact point version of pde). Also the incredibly right sidecut allows for whiplash like turns (sometimes inadvertantly) like I have never felt on any other board

That's my tale on it anyway. I'm still not sure " edge profile" has anything to do with float. I would say the shape of the board determines float and "edge profile" as you describe it.

mikehoncho said:

drjcv said:  It has a more aggressive sidecut?

Doc, both boards (in equal length) are very similar in flex and torsional flex but differ greatly at the contact points, right? The 160 Custom has much more effective edge and running length in contact with the snow (120cm/124cm with an 8.1m sidecut radius) then the 160 Sherlock. The Sherlock being a board designed to lean towards pow, has much less board in contact with the snow (97cm/115cm with a 6.4m sidecut radius) when on ice because it has much more nose and tail for float. The custom's edge blend area (running length edge vs effective edge) is less then an inch. The Sherlock's blend area is almost 7.5". It has almost 4" of additional nose and tail radius when lying flat that the Custom does not have. That's one reason so many people find it is so twitchy on hardpack when transitioning from flat to edge, It's profile is designed to float not carve crud...            

26. bosso

bosso

Loungin Since Oct '09
    sellin´ soul for season pass

unique8 said: it has been my first year in innsbruck and i had 35+powdays last season so the sherlock maybe seems to be a good choice after it excels great in powder and also in addition to my joystick!
    but when coming to its allmountain ability ive read a lot of bad things about the edgehold of the flying v shape..isnt it really much better than the edgehold on my vrocker joystick?
    how does it excel in the park on jumps and boxes and is there anything need to be said about the pop?
    the graphics on the black'n'black ones look sick, but with my 11,5 boots it got to be a wide one ;)
    cant decide between the 158w and 160w... any suggestions? ;) im 184cm (hope most of you are used to the metric system) tall and my wight is 167lbs

you don´t have to go wide necessarily. I´m on 11.5 SLX - totally fine, but with stance maxed out. Deck gets really wide under bindings because of its small radius.

27. nitro909

nitro909

Loungin Since Sep '09
    So Cal

Heres my .02 on these boards. Ive ridden both the 13 CFV and Sherlock, and own(ed) the 10 Custom V 56, 11 CFV(without squeezebox) 58, 12 CFV 58 and 12 Sherlock 57(for comparisons sake). I spent plenty of time last year on the CFV and Sherlock, both very fun boards but have a diff 'feel'. The CFV is very stable, charges, and has very good pop when loaded up for ollies, and the FV shape floats really well in pow. Overall a very good peak to park type of board. The Sherlock had softer tips and was def more playful. It still holds an edge just as well, but I think it floats and stays on top of pow slightly better. I still argue that the Sherlock is an amazing park board, eventhough you only here about peoples pow reviews. For me the Sherlock is a one board quiver. Whereas with the CFV, I would still like a softer screw around board for those small park springtime days. If you charge all day long, go with the CFV, if you like to relax a little more and screw around and not always be on it, look at the Sherlock. If pow is a major concern, just buy a dedicated pow stick!

Now onto the 13 version of these boards. When I had the 11 CFV(no squeezebox), I was thoroughly unimpressed. It felt no diff than my 10 CV and didnt seem to have any increase in edge grip or pop. I quickly ditched it and rode a Nug 50 for the remainder of the season. The Joystick felt really similar to the CV, so I know where youre at. When the 12 had the squeezbox, I noticed a HUGE diff and the board rode like I thought it should. It was grippy when railing turns, the tips stayed on the snow, not bouncing aroung like many rocker boards ride, the snap and pop were there when you wanted. Overall, exactly what I wanted and what I expected it to ride like. So the 13 Sherlock added squeezbox and I was super excited to ride it. I figured it would be a big diff to the board, just like it was to the CFV. I was wrong. Its hard to explain, but its almost like they took some of the fun out of the Sherlock. It didnt have the soft playful tips anymore, yet it didnt have the ollie snap of the CFV. It rode fine, but felt like it didnt want to leave the snow. I rode both the 57mw and the 58mw with my sz11 SLX, the 57 did feel quicker edge to edge, but not enough of a diff to make me not get the 58 if they were sold out of the 57. I feel the same about the CFV 58mw vs the other CFV 58mw.

tldr: It sounds like you would be happy on the CFV. With your sz 11.5 boots, both version are mid wides and will be fine for you. It all depends on how you ride, but the smaller ww would be a little quicker edge to edge, but the bigger ww would give you a little extra surface area for pow float and a little more forgiveness on groomers. Btw, I call bs on the B marketing machine with the "wide" version of these boards. There is a .5cm diff between the reg and "wide" version, which means both would be fine for boot sz 11-12, which they also happen to market as "midwides" on other models.

28. User has not uploaded an avatar

unique8

Loungin Since Sep '12
    IBK

nitro909 said: Heres my .02 on these boards. Ive ridden both the 13 CFV and Sherlock, and own(ed) the 10 Custom V 56, 11 CFV(without squeezebox) 58, 12 CFV 58 and 12 Sherlock 57(for comparisons sake). I spent plenty of time last year on the CFV and Sherlock, both very fun boards but have a diff 'feel'. The CFV is very stable, charges, and has very good pop when loaded up for ollies, and the FV shape floats really well in pow. Overall a very good peak to park type of board. The Sherlock had softer tips and was def more playful. It still holds an edge just as well, but I think it floats and stays on top of pow slightly better. I still argue that the Sherlock is an amazing park board, eventhough you only here about peoples pow reviews. For me the Sherlock is a one board quiver. Whereas with the CFV, I would still like a softer screw around board for those small park springtime days. If you charge all day long, go with the CFV, if you like to relax a little more and screw around and not always be on it, look at the Sherlock. If pow is a major concern, just buy a dedicated pow stick!
    Now onto the 13 version of these boards. When I had the 11 CFV(no squeezebox), I was thoroughly unimpressed. It felt no diff than my 10 CV and didnt seem to have any increase in edge grip or pop. I quickly ditched it and rode a Nug 50 for the remainder of the season. The Joystick felt really similar to the CV, so I know where youre at. When the 12 had the squeezbox, I noticed a HUGE diff and the board rode like I thought it should. It was grippy when railing turns, the tips stayed on the snow, not bouncing aroung like many rocker boards ride, the snap and pop were there when you wanted. Overall, exactly what I wanted and what I expected it to ride like. So the 13 Sherlock added squeezbox and I was super excited to ride it. I figured it would be a big diff to the board, just like it was to the CFV. I was wrong. Its hard to explain, but its almost like they took some of the fun out of the Sherlock. It didnt have the soft playful tips anymore, yet it didnt have the ollie snap of the CFV. It rode fine, but felt like it didnt want to leave the snow. I rode both the 57mw and the 58mw with my sz11 SLX, the 57 did feel quicker edge to edge, but not enough of a diff to make me not get the 58 if they were sold out of the 57. I feel the same about the CFV 58mw vs the other CFV 58mw.
    tldr: It sounds like you would be happy on the CFV. With your sz 11.5 boots, both version are mid wides and will be fine for you. It all depends on how you ride, but the smaller ww would be a little quicker edge to edge, but the bigger ww would give you a little extra surface area for pow float and a little more forgiveness on groomers. Btw, I call bs on the B marketing machine with the "wide" version of these boards. There is a .5cm diff between the reg and "wide" version, which means both would be fine for boot sz 11-12, which they also happen to market as "midwides" on other models.

thanks for your review nitro909! i was really looking forward to go with the sherlock but now after reading your reivew im quite unsure what to do.. :D
    so you say the 2013 doesnt feel that good as it does without squeezebox and it doesent "want to leave the snow", what do you mean by this? bad snap and pop in comparison to the '12 sherlock or just to the CFV?
    i need that board out of this two that handles best on pow and park, it should be playful for presses/jibbing around on groomers and should have nice pop! just like my '10 joystick just stable at high speeds with good edgehold, pop and float ;)

29. nitro909

nitro909

Loungin Since Sep '09
    So Cal

It just felt like it didn't have snap/pop that the squeezebox normally gives. What size Joystick do you ride and what's your weight?

30. User has not uploaded an avatar

unique8

Loungin Since Sep '12
    IBK

its the first joystick a 156w my weight is 75kg dont know what scaleunit is used in the US, sorry ;)

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Mervin Mfg. Thread - 23141516 476 Bdawg BFBF 2 minutes
Powzer Board Quiver - 23565758 1738 shralp Johan 10 minutes
The Official 2015 thread - 23118119120 3586 whoisminishred highme 10 minutes
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23101112 359 awd1105 Spenser 46 minutes
Random shred news and etc... - 23646566 1974 Junkshow Iced_endeavor 1 hour
Endeavor Snowboards - 23456 156 ttocsxela Iced_endeavor 2 hours
The Official Star Wars Nerdz Thread - 23192021 607 cantmethod bigwillystyle 3 hours
Burton Boot Machines... the official? - 23131415 443 Spenser Howdy 3 hours
"Safety Meeting" - 23318319320 9582 Dave99 Iced_endeavor 3 hours
Reflex question 14 buggravy Jneischen 4 hours