• Latest reply from NatasKaput
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Riding with a prosthesis...   

I'm curious to know if any of you have friends who ride with a prosthetic leg? My cousin's little girl was born with one leg/foot not properly formed, and has since had multiple surgeries to make her leg usable.

After she was born, they did a below the knee amputation thinking that she would learn to have function in her knee, but unfortunately that doctor was a little too ambitious and they were heartbroken all over again when that never happened.

She is now 5 years old, and she just had an above the knee amputation a month or so ago, and as soon as they get it completely healed (they've been having issues with it), she will be getting her new prosthesis with a functioning knee, which she will then have to learn to use all over again, because before when she walked she had to swing that leg out to the side since she couldn't bend the knee, and now she should be able to walk and run normally.

Anyways, the reason I ask is that her mom was showing her snowboarding on tv the other day, and she was super stoked on it, and her mom told her that I do that, and I guess she flipped out and said she has to go with me this winter, so I plan to make that happen for her.

My question is what type of special gear will she need (if any), and where can I find it?

2. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Check out info on Thayne Mahler. He used to ride for Burton around 10 years ago. Lost one of his legs below the knee after getting stuck in a crevasse on Hood. Think he did some work to help other athletes with prosthetics but I can't remember.  
    Huck Mag
    TwSnow

3. Enn Zed

Enn Zed

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Ess Ell See

Thayne is who I was going to suggest too. Jen, if you can get hold of a copy of Bikecar (Travis Parker movie) Thayne has a part in it. He shreds!

4. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

I remember Thayne riding almost completely stock Burton. Maybe one franken binder. His angles and stance were way out of whack though to accommodate the different flex from the leg. He also taught me how to skate vert. Awesome dude.

5. GumbysRath

GumbysRath

Loungin Since Aug '10
    Long Beach

thats badass and epic that ur gonna help her out jenna!!! and such a gnarly journey for a lil girl. i hope she gets to ride! she deserves at least that!!!!!

6. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

I have nothing helpful to offer but wanted to say this is awesome. I think it is so great when people do not let themselves be held back and go out and do what they want.

Hopefully you can get it figured out and report back this winter with some photos.

7. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

Your regional AASI/ PSIA office should have some folks who specialize in what they call 'adaptive'. There are some really good tools, etc. out there. You should also be able to take 'Adaptive Events' (like a class on how to teach people with one leg how to ride), whether you're an instructor or in PSIA/ AASI or not.

Some resorts have really made this a niche, and specialize in meeting special needs- it would certainly be worth looking into which resort are more accommodating and experienced in your area.

I once coached a girl who was paralyzed in one leg. Eventually, we figured out she needed a ski pole, and then she was comfortably rocking turns down the steeper and longer greens on day two.

Good luck! She'll rock this!  

8. j_dawg

j_dawg

Loungin Since Aug '09
    deutschland

About ten years ago, I worked with a fellow who had one of his legs amputated just below the knee, and wore a prosthetic device. I would imagine that the tech has improved these days, but from what I noticed, the main issue was bending the leg for riding heelside, I think he was able to get maybe a 10 degree bend, which would pose some difficulty for certain conditions.

9. Jen24

Jen24

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Indiana

Thank you everyone for the replies, and thank you Lomax for offering to send me the Bikecar video so I can watch it with Ella and get her even more stoked :)

I e-mailed my local hill to see if they could be of any assistance as well, but I'm sure it will be a bit before I hear back from them, if I do. There are only two places to ride near me (I live in Indiana, after all), so I'm not sure how much either of them will have to offer, being that they are just small little places with about 500' of vertical, lol.

I'm so excited that she wants to do this, I really hope I can make it happen for her. She is very athletic, she plays soccer, basketball, and softball, so I'm sure if I can get her set up properly she will love it an do just fine. It makes me so proud of her that she doesn't let her leg hold her back, and she never lets anyone tell her she can't do something :)

10. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

I've met a guy who has prosthetic arms and legs and still rides. Humbling.

11. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

http://www.thesnowpros.org/images/uploads/content-uploads/PSIA_AASI_AdaptiveSnowboardGuide_FINAL.pdf

A new free resource for adaptive instructors, the AASI Adaptive Snowboard Guide presents a diverse, creative, and unique collection of crossover teaching techniques, represented by an array of talented instructors. It greatly increases and advances the possibilities and options for adaptive students to find success as snowboarders.
    Click here to download the AASI Adaptive Snowboard Guide.

That link is a must read.

Also, some other resources:
    http://www.thesnowpros.org/index.php/PSIA-AASI/snow-day/adaptive/adaptive-education-resources/  

12. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

boy said:  Check out info on Thayne Mahler. He used to ride for Burton around 10 years ago. Lost one of his legs below the knee after getting stuck in a crevasse on Hood. Think he did some work to help other athletes with prosthetics but I can't remember.

he's in bikecar, one of my all time favorites. seems like he shreds real well with the leg, granted he's just a good snowboarder in general. 

13. earthsurfing

earthsurfing

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Republic of Vermont

I just actually read some of that book on adaptive... there's some really interesting/ critical stuff like how to fit a boot to a prosthetic, or even fabricating one from rebar with a different bend in it for better riding posture for AK (above the knee amputee).

They don't call it 'adaptive' for nothing!

Its all about being creative and customizing the setup to the individual's special needs.

How can I see 'Bikecar'? That movie looks awesome.    

14. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

found it here to start, and we have one copy left at the shop.

http://www.spinnakerextreme.com/bikecar-snowboarding-dvd.html

15. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

i believe it's on netflix, too.

16. tekniq33

tekniq33

Loungin Since Aug '10
    This is a lifestyle, not a trend

• RFK

RFK

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Near Tahoe City

She has worked on making prosthetic feet that fit in her boots, etc.
    Contact her, she seems cool.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amy-Purdy/197966875131  

• NatasKaput

NatasKaput

Loungin Since Mar '10
    Bozeman, MT

i took my level 2 cert test with a guy with a bellow the knee prostheic, the examiner kept telling him to bend at the ankle more, he said he couldn't. it ended up with him throwing his whole damn leg, boot still on at said examiner, i was rolling

• Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
    Teh Official Union Bindings Thread - 23152153154 4601 shralp dkimxd 27 minutes
    The Official Seattle Thread - 23252627 810 Buffalo Swatter 27 krazysk8er 37 minutes
    Dragon transition lenses, awesome or crap? 5 octopus Spenser 44 minutes
    The Official 2016 Thread - 238910 277 whoisminishred drjcv 1 hour
    The Mervin Mfg. Thread - 23161718 526 Bdawg drjcv 1 hour
    Burton Con Artist - 23678 222 Supra BFBF 1 hour
    Slash Snowboards - gigi rüf - 23101112 344 bosso payaso 1 hour
    Teh Official Dealz Thread - 23151152153 4569 HLC123 Supra 2 hours
    FS: Burton Malavitas EST, size Large 6 meluvulongtime156 meluvulongtime156 2 hours
    The Official Frakenbinder thread - 2345 121 MikeHoncho Nikulz 2 hours