• Latest reply from Little-B
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyooooming

repairing holes in outerwear   

hey guys I've got a couple of slits in my holden jacket. this is my favorite jacket ever and i can't find another one to replace it:( i think its from like '06 so its pretty old.

anyways, do any of you guys have any tricks to fixing rips in your outerwear and still maintaining the waterproof-ness? is it expensive or do i just need to buy those $10 gore-tex patch things?

any help is appreciated!

2. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

if it were me, i'd stitch it closed, back it with some sort of basic nylon ripstop attached with seam sealer, and then do a light seam seal on the outside over the stitches. i'm sure you could make it prettier than that if you wanted.

3. blutters

blutters

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Free DasCoisok!

Rub some dirt on it

4. JP

JP

Loungin Since Aug '09
    eh BC

duct tape on the other side

5. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

Just leave it. Find a new favorite jacket after next season

6. xrmitchell

xrmitchell

Loungin Since Jun '10
    Brundage

McNett Gear Aid Seam Grip does a great job at keeping the water out BUT it sets up kind of tacky, which you may find annoying or maybe it wont bother you. I stitched up some slices a Montbell jacket with it and as long as my finger doesn't run across it, it's fine. That's just holding the sides together and putting it over the hole. But, I would recommend putting some tape on the outside, making sure to line up either sides of the rip, and seal it from the inside. It will be almost unrecognizable. Pick a tube up at REI or somewhere similar.

I also had a bad run in with a tree on an AK jacket it have and it slit the arm. Because it is down insulated and it only tore through the top layer I couldn't get to the back of the seam very easily. Looking for another solution I found a clear patch kit from a brand called Tear-Aid. As long as the fabric is super clean and flat before you attach the patch, it should do just great. The Tear-Aid stuff is super cheap too. I bought mine at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Either way, you get a pretty inconspicuous fix without resorting to a goretex patch of a color that doesn't match. If you have it professionally repaired it's gonna cost you close to the cost of a new jacket, which I think is ridiculous.

As a side note, don't use duct tape. The adhesive compound used in the tape will just ruin your jacket and fall off when it gets wet.

Good luck man. You'll figure it out. PM me if you want pictures of the individual repairs.    

7. drjcv

drjcv

Loungin Since Aug '09
    FUCK CANCER

Holy shit. Those rips are tiny. Reading that takes longer than fixing them.

8. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyooooming

yes the tears are very small. I'm mostly worried about the first one. when it opens up, there is only mesh lining between my arm and the rip.

i appreciate the responses guys

9. matty

matty

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Seattle

I haven't had any problems with duct tape holding, but I used the gorilla brand. Still holding on both an airblaster shell and a Mountain Hardwear shell (for camping - it reeks of campfire and B.O.). Both are still watertight after two years. I could give a fuck how the repairs look as long as they work.

10. rossco23

rossco23

Loungin Since Aug '09
    wyooooming

matty said: I could give a fuck how the repairs look as long as they work.

thats how i feel

i just wanna keep my jacket, i don't have money for a new one! 

11. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz

Loungin Since Mar '10

No joke, I use duct tape in most of my outer gear repair work. I don't like stitching because I just end up creating more holes and it gets all bunched up. It holds up great. Every once in a while I'll just trim the edges of the duct tape, if it pulls up. You can get colored duct tape, too.

12. Little-B

Little-B

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Park City

i always just stitch it up then either put a sealant on the stitches or super glue. that spot will be a little hard but wont make a difference

Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Your loving situation - 23255256257 7702 Horse Repairman JP 23 minutes
The Official 2015 thread - 23828384 2509 whoisminishred awd1105 2 hours
Random shred news and etc... - 23505152 1559 Junkshow Supra 2 hours
the AG thread - 23121122123 3682 JP JP 7 hours
[sticky] Welcome Newbz - check in here - 23484950 1489 shralp Lomax 8 hours
Ye Olde Skateboarding Thread - 23575859 1750 Spenser Spenser 9 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23850851852 25548 TahoeChappy Duhg 10 hours
whisky picklez - 23242526 758 contra Mr_Tidbit 10 hours
letter from china ( part 2 ) 6 tianjin tianjin 13 hours
The Official Offspring (kids, not the band) Thread - 23373839 1152 peh760603 goggles 1 day