(6818 posts) (193 voices)
  • Started 4 years ago by JungleLarry
  • Latest reply from J.T.
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Unregistered

THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD   

oakwood-jones said: Gotta have a blender but dry uncooked oats actually go pretty well in a shake.
    For breakfast every morning I do:
    12oz milk
    8oz plain yogurt
    1/2 cup oats
    2tbsp flax
    1 big ass scoop of PB
    1 scoop whey
    1 banana
    Mix that shit up, pop a multivitamin and drink it on the way to work. Allows me to maximize my sleep because it only takes about three minutes to make.

like that idea of dried oats....nice

2. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

shit midge, sorry to hear all that. my wife is a PT. since your'e taking any and all advice i'll ask her to look over what you wrote/your exercise plan and see if she has any thoughts

3. Junkshow

Junkshow

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The North

Respkt to Midge.

4. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

Midge - It's hard enough trying to help people with their workout/diet routines when they're in perfect health, let alone someone with FM or another serious medical condition. I'm not even going to pretend to know what I'm talking about with this one. Wish I could help, but I wouldn't feel right offering advice in this case.

Sorry to hear. Hope you make some progression and start feeling closer to normal. This is definitely the place to talk about your progress though. You're in good company. 

5. Horse Repairman

Horse Repairman

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

goggles said:  you've definitely bulked up since the last pics you've posted...good work.

Those are his jacked fibras on someone else's face

6. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Your workout seems good. Very basic but at this point that's what you're going for. The only advice on it that I might be able to offer is instead of doing a full body workout 2-3 times a week maybe split it up into either lower/upper body or a legs/push/pull split. That should allow you to hit each muscle group a little bit harder (if you're feeling it) and will also give you more time to recover between workouts.

Other then that diet and sleep is the other 50% of the puzzle. We could talk for days on that but basically if it isn't part of the five food groups (meat, dairy, fruits, vegetables, grains) in their most natural, unprocessed forms then you shouldn't be eating it. Try to split up your meals so you're eating at least 6-8 times a day. Not only so your body is never without nutrients but also because it will stimulate your metabolism signifigantly.  

7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Unregistered

oakwood-jones said:  Your workout seems good. Very basic but at this point that's what you're going for. The only advice on it that I might be able to offer is instead of doing a full body workout 2-3 times a week maybe split it up into either lower/upper body or a legs/push/pull split. That should allow you to hit each muscle group a little bit harder (if you're feeling it) and will also give you more time to recover between workouts.
    Other then that diet and sleep is the other 50% of the puzzle. We could talk for days on that but basically if it isn't part of the five food groups (meat, dairy, fruits, vegetables, grains) in their most natural, unprocessed forms then you shouldn't be eating it. Try to split up your meals so you're eating at least 6-8 times a day. Not only so your body is never without nutrients but also because it will stimulate your metabolism signifigantly.  

badass advice. that is good for many of us! 

8. pk fire

pk fire

Loungin Since Aug '09

i thINk it's time for me to work out.

9. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

i am so out of shape its sad. im 6'4" 170 and i get out of breath while briskly walking up the stairs. part of it is due to my black lung, other part is my absolute disdain of anything to do with being in shape/working out. i cant stand the diets, the people, and the attitudes that come with trips to the gym. id rather just ride my bike around town to get some grub.

10. JP

JP

Loungin Since Aug '09
    eh BC

I lack motivation when it comes to working out. Im in ok shape I guess, but I am fucking skinny.

11. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

thanks to everyone, junglelarry included. your advice/support is appreciated. i am the luckiest girl in the world to still be able to ride, and i know it. i'm going to the physio clinic that handles the US ski, snowboard, and speedskating teams, in addtion to a bunch of other athletes. i am grateful that i have what i do. it's still damn hard when you see what you were, and what you should be, and you have to live with where you are. i had a ring made that says "....persevere...." for two reasons. one, to remind me that i have to keep moving forward no matter what, and two, to throw across the room when things get really hard. it's cheaper than replacing phones.

note about diet/vitamins: i'm trying really hard to modify my eating habits since i got wrecked, because i'm not twenty anymore, and i know i'm fighting an uphill battle. i also take a great herbal digestive supplement with fibers, omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil), and vitamin c every day. i recently started taking garlic tablets, but man, those are rough. i've also heard lysine is a good natural anti-viral, and i'm going to give that a whirl, too. i don't believe in any fibro hocus-pocus cure, but i think the general consensus is correct - keep things balanced, and the fibro stays (relatively) mellow, too.

now if you will excuse me, i have been out dancing at the gossip's show, and need to get safe, stretch my IT bands, and go to sleep.  

12. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

I don't know if it's good or not bad but in the beginning it has helped me.. Try a food journal. Identify what you might eat that you don't even notice eating. I wouldn't say count calories but estimate them.
    As for working out, I have finally got a friend motivated to go to the gym with me. Alone I probably wouldn't have signed up. We started with a weightlifting course with an instructor and music. Best way to get into it. There are days when she has to convince me to go, but I mostly end up going. At at the point where I miss NOT going. Never believed that that would happen to me.
    I'll start hitting the gym in November. I have no idea what my workout should be like and what I will do. We get an introduction so maybe they will make up a program for us but if not.. I'll be back here asking for advice :)

13. jdgang

jdgang

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Jersey

[url=

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

1:15---PROTEIN

14. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

midget-mafiosa said: thanks to everyone, junglelarry included. your advice/support is appreciated. i am the luckiest girl in the world to still be able to ride, and i know it. i'm going to the physio clinic that handles the US ski, snowboard, and speedskating teams, in addtion to a bunch of other athletes. i am grateful that i have what i do. it's still damn hard when you see what you were, and what you should be, and you have to live with where you are. i had a ring made that says "....persevere...." for two reasons. one, to remind me that i have to keep moving forward no matter what, and two, to throw across the room when things get really hard. it's cheaper than replacing phones.
    note about diet/vitamins: i'm trying really hard to modify my eating habits since i got wrecked, because i'm not twenty anymore, and i know i'm fighting an uphill battle. i also take a great herbal digestive supplement with fibers, omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil), and vitamin c every day. i recently started taking garlic tablets, but man, those are rough. i've also heard lysine is a good natural anti-viral, and i'm going to give that a whirl, too. i don't believe in any fibro hocus-pocus cure, but i think the general consensus is correct - keep things balanced, and the fibro stays (relatively) mellow, too.
    now if you will excuse me, i have been out dancing at the gossip's show, and need to get safe, stretch my IT bands, and go to sleep.

I figure I can give you some basic advice to go with your workout plan.

- Your workout shouldn't last more than an hour. If you try it and it seems impossible to complete the whole thing within an hour, split up the exercises among different days, giving at least a day of rest between each workout day.

- Your reps should be slow. One of the biggest mistakes people make in the gym is making quick reps. This is especially a concern for you because fast reps will transfer most of the load from your muscles to your ligaments and tendons, making you more prone for injury. Instead, try doing a two second count during your contractions and a three second count during your extensions with no pause in between.

- Take a 45 - 60 second break between each set. This is a good time to get yourself some water too.

- Another mistake people make is in their breathing. You should be continuously breathing throughout your motions so your blood stays oxygenated and you minimize the buildup of lactic acid in your muscles. Inhale during your extensions and exhale during your contractions. Take a few big deep breaths before your reps also; in through your nose, out through your mouth.

- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after your exercises. Water is a key ingredient in rebuilding your tired muscles. Most people agree that during a regular workout program you should be drinking at least a gallon a day. I drink closer to two.

- Alcohol is your muscles' worst enemy.

- Do 5-10 minutes of low intensity cardio before your workout (brisk walk is enough) to boost your heart rate, get your blood flowing, and get your body warmed up. This is important to prevent injury and to maximize progress.

- Try doing warm-up sets before your working sets. For example, if you're going to do 3 sets of 15 leg extensions, do a set before them with a low enough weight that you can easily complete 12-15 reps. You should feel a good pump after your warm-up set, but it should not burn like you just completed a workout. This will concentrate blood flow to the area you're about to work out and further prevent injury.

- Eat an apple about 45 minutes before your workout. Apples are high in fructose giving you sustained energy/sugar release during your workout. This will help you perform better during your workout and minimize the effect your workout has on your body's glycogen stores, further speeding up recovery.

- Eat a good meal after your workout. Eggs and oatmeal will do it. Eggs are high in protein and have a fantastic amino acid profile (the most complete of any protein source, including whey). On the other hand, oatmeal is an awesome source of good carbs. The carbohydrates in oatmeal will help replenish your glycogen stores and shuttle much needed protein to your muscles after your workout. You don't have to overdo it since you're not bodybuilding, but you do need to exercise proper post-workout nutrition to stave off injury and soreness.

Other than that, I think your doctors can give you the best advice you need since they have a better understanding of your history and your condition.    

15. slipkid

slipkid

Loungin Since Aug '09

junglelarry said:

midget-mafiosa said: thanks to everyone, junglelarry included. your advice/support is appreciated. i am the luckiest girl in the world to still be able to ride, and i know it. i'm going to the physio clinic that handles the US ski, snowboard, and speedskating teams, in addtion to a bunch of other athletes. i am grateful that i have what i do. it's still damn hard when you see what you were, and what you should be, and you have to live with where you are. i had a ring made that says "....persevere...." for two reasons. one, to remind me that i have to keep moving forward no matter what, and two, to throw across the room when things get really hard. it's cheaper than replacing phones.

I figure I can give you some basic advice to go with your workout plan.
    - Your workout shouldn't last more than an hour. If you try it and it seems impossible to complete the whole thing within an hour, split up the exercises among different days, giving at least a day of rest between each workout day.
    - Your reps should be slow. One of the biggest mistakes people make in the gym is making quick reps. This is especially a concern for you because fast reps will transfer most of the load from your muscles to your ligaments and tendons, making you more prone for injury. Instead, try doing a two second count during your contractions and a three second count during your extensions with no pause in between.
    - Take a 45 - 60 second break between each set. This is a good time to get yourself some water too.
    - Another mistake people make is in their breathing. You should be continuously breathing throughout your motions so your blood stays oxygenated and you minimize the buildup of lactic acid in your muscles. Inhale during your extensions and exhale during your contractions. Take a few big deep breaths before your reps also; in through your nose, out through your mouth.
    - Drink plenty of water before, during, and after your exercises. Water is a key ingredient in rebuilding your tired muscles. Most people agree that during a regular workout program you should be drinking at least a gallon a day. I drink closer to two.
    - Alcohol is your muscles' worst enemy.
    - Do 5-10 minutes of low intensity cardio before your workout (brisk walk is enough) to boost your heart rate, get your blood flowing, and get your body warmed up. This is important to prevent injury and to maximize progress.
    - Try doing warm-up sets before your working sets. For example, if you're going to do 3 sets of 15 leg extensions, do a set before them with a low enough weight that you can easily complete 12-15 reps. You should feel a good pump after your warm-up set, but it should not burn like you just completed a workout. This will concentrate blood flow to the area you're about to work out and further prevent injury.
    - Eat an apple about 45 minutes before your workout. Apples are high in fructose giving you sustained energy/sugar release during your workout. This will help you perform better during your workout and minimize the effect your workout has on your body's glycogen stores, further speeding up recovery.
    - Eat a good meal after your workout. Eggs and oatmeal will do it. Eggs are high in protein and have a fantastic amino acid profile (the most complete of any protein source, including whey). On the other hand, oatmeal is an awesome source of good carbs. The carbohydrates in oatmeal will help replenish your glycogen stores and shuttle much needed protein to your muscles after your workout. You don't have to overdo it since you're not bodybuilding, but you do need to exercise proper post-workout nutrition to stave off injury and soreness.
    Other than that, I think your doctors can give you the best advice you need since they have a better understanding of your history and your condition.    

why deal with all this bullshit? is it worth it?
    do a cycle and eat food. fuk you can even shorter or eliminate the majority of your workouts.

dumb jocks.

16. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

I Googled "dum persen workout rutine" and copy/pasted all that from Wikipedia. I don't do anything except eat t-bones and do deadlifts.

17. slipkid

slipkid

Loungin Since Aug '09

unless your gym is full of off duty strippers and or fitness models there is no reason to spend more than 20 minutes in that joint, and that includes the 5 minutes it takes to do a deliberate wrap job on the knees and 10 minutes talking to the girl at the front desk.

18. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

The other five minutes are spent mirror flexing, I hope.

19. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

- This guy: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com
    - Functional training PWNS
    - I [ballsack] kelltebell training

20. jdgang

jdgang

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Jersey

midget-mafiosa said:  this thread explains so much. contra, x 2 on the glee cheerios coach.
    larry, i'm going to tell you a little story, and then ask if you have any additional advice based on your experience in the gym to add to my physical therapist's and doctor's. this may be lengthy, as you don't know my history, but bear with me. i am asking in earnest and good faith.
    a long time ago, i was a 6 day a week ballet dancer. i had to quit at 15 because my hips and back were shot. 5 years and a lot of damage to my body later (like when i started lifting weights and snowboarding instead of dancing), they figured out i had fibromyalgia, a chronic pain and fatigue disorder that doesn't have a cure, and for which they're still working out the cause. the most likely culprit at this point is a misfire of the pain synapses. bottom line is that i continually pushed my body too hard, not realizing that it took me on average 2-3 times as long to heal from simple strains and any injury than "normal" people.
    cut to 10 years later (2008). on my way to a friend's wedding, i got pinned and dragged under a kawasaki vulcan drifter motorcycle. subdural hematoma, broken right collarbone, collapsed right lung, 3 broken ribs, and a broken back. i rallied back enough to snowboard last season, but my muscles were still weak enough that back strain was common. in may of 09, i found out my collarbone never fused, and underwent surgery for it in june. another summer on the sidelines.
    i also have some other medical issues like migraines, which were being treated with some medications that made me gain weight. i narrowed it down to the meds when, in august, i got my sling off and was ready to jump into rehab - until they told me i had mono. at 30. apparently, i'd contracted it while my immune system was down when traveling a few weeks earlier. i was consuming under 1000 calories a day and still gaining weight. i promptly had my doctors switch/eliminate the stuff i was on, but it's nearly three months later and i still have mono. the broken bones, the seven months of dizziness from the post-concussive syndrome, the extra surgery, the weight gain, the mono - i came really close to breaking. it just seemed like too much.
    since then, i've had to stay sidelined and just do my physio exercises at home, and get as much walking in while running errands as i could (that's what was advised in addition to naps). i've been cleared for activity with my collarbone, and when i finally had a symptom free week two weeks ago, i jumped at the chance to go to moab and try mountain biking for the first time. there were lots of sections i had to push through, because i'm still really weak and have no stamina, but i attacked the downhills, and took my crashes without re-injuring myself. i got slapped with more mono symptoms last week for doing too much, too fast, but it was worth it, because for the first time in almost 18 months, i felt like i could do something, anything again, and not be a gimp or a hinderance. looking in the mirror every day and not recognizing the body staring back at me has been humbling, humiliating and crushing experience, compounded by the feeling of powerlessness to change it until my body will cooperate enough to let me make it strong and healthy again.
    i had my second to last physio appointment yesterday, and they're building me a strengthening routine to continue at the gym and at home so that i can get back to doing the things i love, like snowboarding, and maybe really get into biking next summer. i've still got to recover from mono completely (they say i should be symptom free for two weeks before resuming normal activity), but here's the routine i've been advised to do so far:
    2-3 times a week:
    quads: double leg press, 2-3 sets of 15, building up
    hamstrings: seated hamcurl, 2-3 sets of 15, same deal
    hips: adduction/abduction, 2-3 sets of 15
    scapula: row, 2-3 sets of 15
    chest press: 2-3 sets of 15
    arms: bicep curls, ditto
    triceps pulldown: ditto
    knees/quads: seated leg raises, 2 sets of 20
    various physio rubber band stuff for the shoulders
    alternating days, half hour of elliptical or walking for mild cardio until i'm recovered from mono, then building up slowly so as not to aggravate the fibro.
    now, i know you aren't a professional, or experienced with conditions like what i'm dealing with, but i'm looking to bounce back strong and healthy and put this stuff behind me. needing to go slow and steady is a necessary frustration for me, but i am literally at the point where i will consider all sources of helpful information. i know you don't like me, but i'm even willing to consider yours, if it will help me feel normal again.

wow crazy story. While I have no actual advice to give you. I am just starting out (@38 years old) to get into shape. I also just "discovered" MTB. If you are ever out in Jersey and feel the need to ride we got some great XC trails.

21. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

LOL

Jersey vs. Utah....

22. jdgang

jdgang

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Jersey

junglelarry said: LOL
    Jersey vs. Utah....

yes I know east vs west....might not be as large but we do have some nice single track around me...

23. Horse Repairman

Horse Repairman

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

New Jersey sucks. I'm moving if Corzine gets reelected.

24. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

jdgang said:

junglelarry said: LOL
    Jersey vs. Utah....

yes I know east vs west....might not be as large but we do have some nice single track around me...

Hey, man. If it keeps you stoked then that's all that matters.

25. goggles

goggles

Loungin Since Aug '09
    bucktown --> strong island

horse-repairman said:  New Jersey sucks. I'm moving if Corzine gets reelected.

jersey sucked long before corzine  

26. Johnny Pryde

Johnny Pryde

Loungin Since Oct '09

junglelarry said: Eggs and oatmeal will do it. Eggs are high in protein and have a fantastic amino acid profile (the most complete of any protein source, including whey).

won't the fact that one has to cook eggs make them a bad source of proteins? because when you cook eggs the proteins denaturate (spelling?) so they aren't as useful?

But I agree on oat, they are a good source of carbohydrates and not bad on proteins either. I usually eat almonds and raisins after a workout

27. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

Short answer to your question: No. In fact, I've read the exact opposite. The denatured proteins in eggs are more readily digested by your body compared to raw eggs.

28. goggles

goggles

Loungin Since Aug '09
    bucktown --> strong island

my 10 year hiatus from the gym is approaching it's end.

that said, i need to start planning my workOUT regimen for when i get back in there in 2012.

i'll keep you all posted...  

29. Stealth

Stealth

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Philly

f18 said:
    pull-ups, push-ups& dips ftw.

I really would look stupid if i got any bigger so, I've stopped my heavy weight training and gone into a regimen of maintenance. Mostly body-weight stuff like you said, dips(own all), pull/curl-ups, and light weights. I think I look better now than I ever have.

30. Stealth

Stealth

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Philly

goggles said: my 10 year hiatus from the gym is approaching it's end.
    that said, i need to start planning my workOUT regimen for when i get back in there in 2012.
    i'll keep you all posted...  

banking on the apocalypse in 2012 so you never have to go again?

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official CAPiTA Thread - 23203204205 6140 shralp SuburbanLegend8 26 minutes
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23857858859 25762 TahoeChappy SuburbanLegend8 28 minutes
The Real World - Vermont 16 goggles SuburbanLegend8 31 minutes
2015 Snowboard Movies Thread - 23 82 red baron vevvu 32 minutes
MEGASALEZ: Burton CO2/Holden/Airblaster/Anon - LOWERED 24 cantmethod cantmethod 37 minutes
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 23 72 awd1105 SuburbanLegend8 37 minutes
The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23404142 1233 Jneischen NugFlutie 39 minutes
Still have a lot of 2015 Nitro and L1 Samples left. 9 Parker fluid59 41 minutes
Burton Boot Machines... the official? - 23101112 355 Spenser SuburbanLegend8 41 minutes
The Denver thread - 23232425 750 Deucen zkurd 1 hour