THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD   

no yolks though!

3. death_ember

death_ember

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Don't google "Blue Waffle". DON'T.

My arm is now 15.5 inches around. Teehee
    To be fair, I have offensive lineman arms.

4. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

Someone throw down their favorite post-workout shake (bought or made).

5. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

i like to give my weiner a post workout shake

6. RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Until tomorrow, the whole world is my home

I like to use; frozen dark berries, ice, milk, egg white, some flax seed (not much), low sugar fruit juice, and banana. You can add all sorts of things depending on flavor. Also, when I was trying to really put on lean muscle I was using a protein powder but I can't remember which it was. But some protein powders are good for adding bulk and some are good for lean muscle; personal preference there.

7. death_ember

death_ember

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Don't google "Blue Waffle". DON'T.

I have a slurpee after football practice. Does that count?

8. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

ripitup said:  I like to use; frozen dark berries, ice, milk, egg white, some flax seed (not much), low sugar fruit juice, and banana. You can add all sorts of things depending on flavor. Also, when I was trying to really put on lean muscle I was using a protein powder but I can't remember which it was. But some protein powders are good for adding bulk and some are good for lean muscle; personal preference there.

Sorry, but that sounds awful. 

9. RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Loungin Since Aug '09

junglelarry said:

ripitup said:  I like to use; frozen dark berries, ice, milk, egg white, some flax seed (not much), low sugar fruit juice, and banana. You can add all sorts of things depending on flavor. Also, when I was trying to really put on lean muscle I was using a protein powder but I can't remember which it was. But some protein powders are good for adding bulk and some are good for lean muscle; personal preference there.

LOL. It isn't the best tasting, but it's good for you, and if you increase the dark mixed berries you don't taste any of the nastyness.

10. Eli9422

Eli9422

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ☮ne L☮ve

Claim/! I was just at the gym for 2 hours Claim/!

I did shoulders, biceps, and triceps today...my arms feel like they just go fucked in the arse.
    After a work out I just have a vanilla protein shake... standard ish... 24 grams of protein...it tastes meh...not the worst thing ever... I used to mix it into a raspberry,strawberry,blueberry,yogurt,and milk smoothie but it's just easier to drink with just the powder and the milk. Oh just a tip for taking protein powder that I discoverd recently... if you have the shake with 2% or whole milk it tastes significantly better than just having skim milk or 1% because when its skim you can taste the powder too much.

11. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

ripitup said:

junglelarry said:

LOL. It isn't the best tasting, but it's good for you, and if you increase the dark mixed berries you don't taste any of the nastyness.

It just doesn't sound like any of those ingredients are effective post workout except the egg whites. 

12. RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Loungin Since Aug '09

junglelarry said:

ripitup said:

junglelarry said:

It just doesn't sound like any of those ingredients are effective post workout except the egg whites. 

Flax seed contains Omega 3 fatty acids which contain resolvins and maresins, natural antiinflammatories. Banana's are high in potassium and if taken right after a workout it speeds up the recovery time of your muscles = no post workout muslce pain. And the dark berries are just good anti-oxidants; high ORAC (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) number. And we know about protein powders and egg whites for protein intake post workout.

13. Dave99

Dave99

Loungin Since Aug '09
    MODERATOR with an Iron Fist full of Marshmallows

ripitup said: And the dingle berries are just good anti-oxidants;

See that Horseman..I told you...

14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Unregistered

Milk is so 50s. Whey protein might be better?

15. Junkshow

Junkshow

Loungin Since Aug '09
    The North

I'm trying to work a shit out right now.

16. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

ripitup said:

junglelarry said:

ripitup said:

junglelarry said:

Flax seed contains Omega 3 fatty acids which contain resolvins and maresins, natural antiinflammatories. Banana's are high in potassium and if taken right after a workout it speeds up the recovery time of your muscles = no post workout muslce pain. And the dark berries are just good anti-oxidants; high ORAC (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) number. And we know about protein powders and egg whites for protein intake post workout.

I eat flax seeds every day. But flax seeds contain fat. Fat slows digestion. After your workout you want to digest nutrients as quickly as possible to aid your muscles in recovery. Bananas are great, but they're high in fructose and fructose does not restore your glycogen stores, which is why many people opt for glucose after their workout instead. Dark berries are the same.

All in all, you're eating good food, just not at the right time.

17. RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Loungin Since Aug '09

dasblunt said:  Milk is so 50s. Whey protein might be better?

Both, I am not for sure, but I don't think protein powder has these valueable minerals and vitamins.

Biotin
    pantothenic acid
    Iodine
    Potassium
    Magnesium
    Selenium
    Thiamine
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin B12
    Riboflavin
    Vitamins D
    Vitamin K

18. RIPITUP

RIPITUP

Loungin Since Aug '09

junglelarry said:

ripitup said:

junglelarry said:

ripitup said:

junglelarry said:

I eat flax seeds every day. But flax seeds contain fat. Fat slows digestion. After your workout you want to digest nutrients as quickly as possible to aid your muscles in recovery. Bananas are great, but they're high in fructose and fructose does not restore your glycogen stores, which is why many people opt for glucose after their workout instead. Dark berries are the same.
    All in all, you're eating good food, just not at the right time.

This is the JL I like...hopefully I didn't jinx it.

19. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

ripitup said:

dasblunt said:  Milk is so 50s. Whey protein might be better?

Both, I am not for sure, but I don't think protein powder has these valueable minerals and vitamins.
    Biotin
    pantothenic acid
    Iodine
    Potassium
    Magnesium
    Selenium
    Thiamine
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin B12
    Riboflavin
    Vitamins D
    Vitamin K

Milk is 80% casein protein, which congeals in the stomach and digests over a period of 6-7 hours. Hardly ideal after a workout. Whey protein hits the bloodstream within 30 minutes.

20. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

ripitup said:

UR A DICKBUTT LOL

21. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

I go with 2 scoops of ON whey and a pack of mike and ikes after a workout. Got a 16oz sirloin with rice, broccoli and milk going right now though.

22. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

junglelarry said:

ripitup said:

UR A DICKBUTT LOL

*laughing uncontrollably*

23. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

My post-workout shake(s):

Immediately after -
    3/4 cup oats
    1 1/2 cup water
    25-30g dextrose
    24g whey

An hour after -
    1 cup oats
    1 tbsp honey
    10 oz skim milk
    24g whey

Ends up being just a little over 1,000 calories.

24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Unregistered

Dry oats?

25. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

Yeah. I blend it as smooth as possible, but the grittiness doesn't bother me as much as some people. I actually enjoy the texture. I used to chew on a handful and wash it down with a protein shake after my workouts.

26. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Gotta have a blender but dry uncooked oats actually go pretty well in a shake.

For breakfast every morning I do:
    12oz milk
    8oz plain yogurt
    1/2 cup oats
    2tbsp flax
    1 big ass scoop of PB
    1 scoop whey
    1 banana

Mix that shit up, pop a multivitamin and drink it on the way to work. Allows me to maximize my sleep because it only takes about three minutes to make.

27. ttocsxela

ttocsxela

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Sacramento

Can a brother get some creatine?

28. JungleLarry

JungleLarry

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Denver, CO

ttocsxela said:  Can a brother get some creatine?

SAY NO TO BLOAT!

29. Midget Mafiosa

Midget Mafiosa

Loungin Since Sep '09
    professional gimp

this thread explains so much. contra, x 2 on the glee cheerios coach.

larry, i'm going to tell you a little story, and then ask if you have any additional advice based on your experience in the gym to add to my physical therapist's and doctor's. this may be lengthy, as you don't know my history, but bear with me. i am asking in earnest and good faith.

a long time ago, i was a 6 day a week ballet dancer. i had to quit at 15 because my hips and back were shot. 5 years and a lot of damage to my body later (like when i started lifting weights and snowboarding instead of dancing), they figured out i had fibromyalgia, a chronic pain and fatigue disorder that doesn't have a cure, and for which they're still working out the cause. the most likely culprit at this point is a misfire of the pain synapses. bottom line is that i continually pushed my body too hard, not realizing that it took me on average 2-3 times as long to heal from simple strains and any injury than "normal" people.

cut to 10 years later (2008). on my way to a friend's wedding, i got pinned and dragged under a kawasaki vulcan drifter motorcycle. subdural hematoma, broken right collarbone, collapsed right lung, 3 broken ribs, and a broken back. i rallied back enough to snowboard last season, but my muscles were still weak enough that back strain was common. in may of 09, i found out my collarbone never fused, and underwent surgery for it in june. another summer on the sidelines.

i also have some other medical issues like migraines, which were being treated with some medications that made me gain weight. i narrowed it down to the meds when, in august, i got my sling off and was ready to jump into rehab - until they told me i had mono. at 30. apparently, i'd contracted it while my immune system was down when traveling a few weeks earlier. i was consuming under 1000 calories a day and still gaining weight. i promptly had my doctors switch/eliminate the stuff i was on, but it's nearly three months later and i still have mono. the broken bones, the seven months of dizziness from the post-concussive syndrome, the extra surgery, the weight gain, the mono - i came really close to breaking. it just seemed like too much.

since then, i've had to stay sidelined and just do my physio exercises at home, and get as much walking in while running errands as i could (that's what was advised in addition to naps). i've been cleared for activity with my collarbone, and when i finally had a symptom free week two weeks ago, i jumped at the chance to go to moab and try mountain biking for the first time. there were lots of sections i had to push through, because i'm still really weak and have no stamina, but i attacked the downhills, and took my crashes without re-injuring myself. i got slapped with more mono symptoms last week for doing too much, too fast, but it was worth it, because for the first time in almost 18 months, i felt like i could do something, anything again, and not be a gimp or a hinderance. looking in the mirror every day and not recognizing the body staring back at me has been humbling, humiliating and crushing experience, compounded by the feeling of powerlessness to change it until my body will cooperate enough to let me make it strong and healthy again.

i had my second to last physio appointment yesterday, and they're building me a strengthening routine to continue at the gym and at home so that i can get back to doing the things i love, like snowboarding, and maybe really get into biking next summer. i've still got to recover from mono completely (they say i should be symptom free for two weeks before resuming normal activity), but here's the routine i've been advised to do so far:

2-3 times a week:

quads: double leg press, 2-3 sets of 15, building up
    hamstrings: seated hamcurl, 2-3 sets of 15, same deal
    hips: adduction/abduction, 2-3 sets of 15
    scapula: row, 2-3 sets of 15
    chest press: 2-3 sets of 15
    arms: bicep curls, ditto
    triceps pulldown: ditto
    knees/quads: seated leg raises, 2 sets of 20

various physio rubber band stuff for the shoulders

alternating days, half hour of elliptical or walking for mild cardio until i'm recovered from mono, then building up slowly so as not to aggravate the fibro.

now, i know you aren't a professional, or experienced with conditions like what i'm dealing with, but i'm looking to bounce back strong and healthy and put this stuff behind me. needing to go slow and steady is a necessary frustration for me, but i am literally at the point where i will consider all sources of helpful information. i know you don't like me, but i'm even willing to consider yours, if it will help me feel normal again.

30. truckeebread

truckeebread

Loungin Since Oct '09
    PDX to Lake Tahoe

so daily lung reps and sex isn't enough to stay in shape for winter?

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
The Official Flight Attendant Thread - 2391011 317 awd1105 BFBF 13 minutes
Post Your Quiver Thread - 23929394 2810 shralp Spenser 26 minutes
[sticky] How the Hell did I Get Here? (aka we’re all Refugees) - 23789 270 drjcv Zapp B. 1 hour
FS: Capita Unorthadox 158 1 mh8701 mh8701 2 hours
Call the Landlord (a review): - 2 49 Qurph wino 3 hours
The Official 2016 Thread - 2345 122 whoisminishred illocon 3 hours
Official Airblaster thread - 23178179180 5380 shralp HyperLeafBlower 4 hours
FS: Flux DS Bindings 2 tdn tdn 5 hours
FS: 2013 Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro HP 157cm - Like new 12 tdn tdn 5 hours
fritos anyone? 7 goggles LilTeichMonster 6 hours