(6892 posts) (195 voices)
  • Started 5 years ago by JungleLarry
  • Latest reply from Eddiecubed
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. dontsleep

dontsleep

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Attack me if you dare, I will crush you!

THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD   

2. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

lol well played sleep!

form > weights > too much focus on form > too much focus on weights

3. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Word. I have yet to see someone go hard with perfect form. Even so, that's no excuse to be a moron.

4. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

eli9422 said:  Did press, squats, and cleans today...its weird on my press 105 is challenging but I go went up to 110 and was able to get 4 reps after 3 sets of 105...For press would you recommend the focus to be on form or more weight? I mean my form is still pretty solid at 110.

Go for 110. Never scared. If you can't do strict press for all 5 reps, do push press for the last couple. Attack.

eli9422 said:
    I'm also most likely getting hammered tonight though so I guess today's workout won't really matter all that much.

That's a myth spread by bodybuilders who think that you're not allowed to enjoy life while getting strong.

5. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

youknowlarry said:

eva said:  not sure how much he weighs but i would guess around 180-190lbs, yeah.
    what do you squad?

How much you weigh?

I asked first.. but 145ish.

6. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Then my answer is "enough."

Mmmmmmm....

7. Mr_Tidbit

Mr_Tidbit

Loungin Since Sep '09
    SLC, @Mr_Tidbit

So, after 3.5 + months of training the wifey and I ran the Big Cottonwood Canyon 1/2 Marathon yesterday. It was a great race, well organized and running down the canyon was a blast, I'll definitely be doing it again next year.

Tidbit: 1:36.28.8, 45th Place Overall, 14th Place for Women & 3rd in her age group of 108. 7:22 Avg. Mile Pace.

Mr_Tidbit: 1:46:14:2, 134th Place Overall, 65th place for men & 10th out of 35 in my age group. 8:06 Avg. Mile Pace

8. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

congrats to both of you!!!

9. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

nice job you two :)  

10. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Congratulations, but how much do you squad?

11. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

Gonna disagree with Larry on the RDLs for hand strength. IMO RDL'S are pretty dangerous on the low back if you don't engage the lats properly. In time your grip strength will improve. Orjustkeep doing the shrug thingonyour last rep.

12. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Every exercise is dangerous if you don't do it properly.

13. sevenstarsfall

sevenstarsfall

Loungin Since Oct '10

Accidentally did the splits last night and messed myself up. I'm going to take a week off from my leg workouts, fail.

14. Mr_Tidbit

Mr_Tidbit

Loungin Since Sep '09
    SLC, @Mr_Tidbit

mr_tidbit said: So, after 3.5 + months of training the wifey and I ran the Big Cottonwood Canyon 1/2 Marathon yesterday. It was a great race, well organized and running down the canyon was a blast, I'll definitely be doing it again next year.
    Tidbit: 1:36.28.8, 45th Place Overall, 14th Place for Women & 3rd in her age group of 108. 7:22 Avg. Mile Pace.
    Mr_Tidbit: 1:46:14:2, 134th Place Overall, 65th place for men & 10th out of 35 in my age group. 8:06 Avg. Mile Pace

They posted pictures from the 1/2 this morning for us. While most of them aren't very flattering, I got a lot of cheers and high fives from the spectators and volunteers for the shirt I ran in.

15. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

How do you like the k tape?

16. Mr_Tidbit

Mr_Tidbit

Loungin Since Sep '09
    SLC, @Mr_Tidbit

youknowlarry said: How do you like the k tape?

I like it a lot when it sticks... I use it on my right shoulder AC joint and my right knee and do notice a big difference. After about 7 miles my knee will start to get sore, but even with all the downhill running on Saturday it didn't get sore with the KT Tape. My shoulder tends to get sore during workouts and when I run, but the tape holds everything in place and I don't have issue. But you have to shave the area you apply it to, or it'll start peeling off during your workout.

But if you shave the area, dry it and apply it right after at room temperature it will stay on. If you do it that way the tape usually last for 3-4 days, even with showering.  

17. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

Fat-letes at the "fun runs" I've done love the KT tape. They never shave and sweat like hogs and by the end of the race are dragging a 2 foot long trail of it across the finish line.

18. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

solid half marathon times tidbit! awesome work for u and the lady

19. buggravy

buggravy

Loungin Since Apr '10

Bench question. I've been using Rippetoe's methodology wherein forearms are vertical from all angles at the bottom of the movement. Seems to have served me well for the most part, as lately I've been able to bench mostly without shoulder pain which I'd never been able to do before. Slowly though, it feels like the inflammation that has plagued me in the past is creeping back in as the weight is going up. Been seeing a number of seemingly reputable guys advocating this technique where the elbows are in more, and the forearm travels past vertical. Sounds like the whole idea is to eliminate impingement, but when I tried it today I felt even more impingement. Maybe I botched the form somehow. Curious what approach everyone here takes.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

20. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I don't see much differentiation between that video and Rippetoe's methodology, save for the fact that Rippetoe doesn't emphasize the extreme back contraction that those dudes do. They're not saying that your forearms shouldn't be vertical; if your forearms aren't vertical, you're not pressing efficiently.

Stand in front of the mirror. If you hold your arms straight out to your side, they're at a 90-degree angle to your sides. Now lower your arms 30-degree downward. That's your elbow position and that's where you should be grabbing the bar.

21. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Fattyboomboom

I had waffles and cake for dinner - post workout. and I wonder why I'm fat. Need to decide soon if I'm going to try and drop weight or not for the upcoming comps. I'm kind of over it really.

Knees are feeling a little better. I took last week off and been stretching and foam rolling a lot. *knock on wood*

22. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

zkurd said: I had waffles and cake for dinner - post workout. and I wonder why I'm fat. Need to decide soon if I'm going to try and drop weight or not for the upcoming comps. I'm kind of over it really.
    Knees are feeling a little better. I took last week off and been stretching and foam rolling a lot. *knock on wood*

the cake and waffles (while they may play a part bc of their high caloric properties) are not the reasons why you put on weight. excess daily, weekly, monthly, etc calories are why. excess meaning you take in more calories than you use. so either eat less stuff or spend the energy by being active. I eat ice cream almost every night and can lose weight.  

23. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Let's Shred Ostie d'Calisse!

she knows that shit, boy.

24. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

f18 said:  she knows that shit, boy.

haha i thought the same thing

25. Eli9422

Eli9422

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ☮ne L☮ve

Went to work out this morning and when doing OHP I felt a strain in my chest, I don't think I stretched enough and did enough warm up sets...sucks that I sorta wasted a workout..everything feels fine now, is it really stupid to bench, squat, and deadlift tomorrow?

26. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

No, not if you feel okay.

For your press, make sure you're not leaning too far back. You should be standing straight, except at the bottom where you lean back just enough to get the bar to clear your face. Also make sure you've got your elbows at least directly underneath the bar at the bottom so your forearms are perpendicular to the ground (both from the side and back). If your forearms get behind the bar and start falling to your side, you'll get a lot of pull in your chest.

27. Eli9422

Eli9422

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ☮ne L☮ve

Yeah I suspected I was leaning a bit too far back and thats why it felt like I was straining my chest. I rolled out of bed and went to the gym and really didn't have enough time before class to properly warm up. When I do press again on monday I'll make sure to be strict about my form. It's definitely easier to get the weight up if you're using your chest. Maybe if there's not too many people there on friday I'll record a video just to have something to review haha, don't wanna look like a douche though.

28. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Of course it's easier to lean back. Can you incline press more than you can OHP? Definitely.

But that's not the idea. You want to get good at pressing. If the weight gets too heavy, I don't have an issue with finishing your last set with a couple push press reps (but only once in a while). Otherwise, drop the load.

29. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Got my shoulder surgery scheduled for the 15th. I swear, if they fuck this up, I'm gonna flip out.

30. mr mouse

mr mouse

Loungin Since Apr '10

good luck, how long will recovery take?

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
camera - 2 40 goggles kaston 3 hours
the AG thread - 23128129130 3885 JP notmikebuckley 4 hours
The Mervin Mfg. Thread - 23161718 530 Bdawg soymateo 4 hours
Alberta/Sunshine Fucking Village - 23 85 drjcv j_dawg 4 hours
The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23474849 1444 Jneischen LilTeichMonster 5 hours
Colour Wear Outerwear 2 HLC123 NatasKaput 5 hours
Thinking of getting a new shred stick this season. 29 KDUB82 BFBF 5 hours
The Official 2015 thread - 23121122123 3676 whoisminishred awd1105 5 hours
Yes Snowboards? - 23525354 1615 peh760603 HLC123 6 hours
frequency The Snowboarder's Journal | Asymbol Offer | 14/15 - 2 55 Wibby SGboarder 6 hours