• Latest reply from Eddiecubed
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD   

Some dude was benching 585 in the gym today, with no spotter. Pretty fun to watch.

2. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

This might be the funniest thing I've ever seen.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

3. sevenstarsfall

sevenstarsfall

Loungin Since Oct '10

"EASY! I KILL IT! NOTHING! OWNED BITCH! FUCK THAT SHIT UP! I OWN IT! NOTHING! DONE!"

4. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

wow super funny. i wonder if getting that hyped really helps, but to each his own.

what was the white thing he was sniffing or had in his mouth?

5. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Ammonia, probably. Or something like it. I've seen power lifters use it like smelling salts to "wake up" the senses. Apparently it helps their lifts. I've never tried it.

That's probably why he's yelling.

6. buggravy

buggravy

Loungin Since Apr '10

Finished week 2 of the Madcow 5X5. Still in the easy stage of the program, but am already up 2 lbs in body weight. Doing zero cardio, which feels really weird, as does only working out 3 times a week. Knees are stoked to not be running though. Feels so good to be doing something so regimented for a change. Also pretty humbling to realize how out to lunch I'd been on some aspects of training, given how long I've been at it. Motivation is through the roof right now.

7. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

My deadlift went to shit today. Pretty fucking pissed right now. If I can't make some progress next week I'm going to take some time off.

8. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

I've been doing well noticing definite gains. I have not been lifting all that long though.

I eat food at the wrong times. during the week I am good about my diet for the most part, but it goes to shit on the weekends, which is when I'm not lifting.

Need to eat more on the days I actually lift, and less on the days I am doing nothing.

I've already gained weight from lifting though--heavier on the scale, but not looking like its fat. Though I absolutely need to be cutting while lifting too because I don't want to be over 200 lbs at all.  

9. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Plugging in my Rep maxes that i've hit in the past 5 workouts into a 1rm formula, I'm getting numbers that are consistantly 20lbs higher than the 1rm numbers that I based my program off of. I will take this as a sign not only that a few weeks of rest recently have done me very well but also that I'm set up to have a very long and very productive run at this program. Feeling strong...

10. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

My friend was just boasting that his squats today were heavier than they've ever been.

Fuck both of you.

11. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

it doesnt make sense considering he's on the first week of 531 which basically amounts to a deload week but WTFever.

my shoulder hurts on the bench and dips are impossible. i think i fucked up my rotator cuff this time. fuck. oh well. gonna just squat, row and deadlift till it feels better.  

12. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

dr-dre said: gonna just squat, row and deadlift till it feels better.  

awesome!

is there a standard to measure your main lifts against? like how much should I be able to dead/squat/bench/etc @ 141 lbs?

13. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

dr-dre said:  it doesnt make sense considering he's on the first week of 531 which basically amounts to a deload week but WTFever.
    my shoulder hurts on the bench and dips are impossible. i think i fucked up my rotator cuff this time. fuck. oh well. gonna just squat, row and deadlift till it feels better.  

Week 4 of each cycle is Deload. Week 1 is 85% of 90% of your 1rm for as many reps as you can get on the final set, ideally just short of failure. I'm in the second week now, which is 90% of 90% for as many as you can get...

14. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

bboytommy said:

awesome!
    is there a standard to measure your main lifts against? like how much should I be able to dead/squat/bench/etc @ 141 lbs?

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

15. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I can get behind those numbers.

16. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

oakwood-jones said:

bboytommy said:

awesome!

much simpler
    STRSTD.com  

17. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

oakwood-jones said:

dr-dre said:  it doesnt make sense considering he's on the first week of 531 which basically amounts to a deload week but WTFever.

Week 4 of each cycle is Deload. Week 1 is 85% of 90% of your 1rm for as many reps as you can get on the final set, ideally just short of failure. I'm in the second week now, which is 90% of 90% for as many as you can get...

i was drunk and thinking of madcow. my bad.

18. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

dr-dre said:

oakwood-jones said:

bboytommy said:

awesome!

much simpler
    STRSTD.com  

awesome thanks fellas! i have much progress to be made.

hahaha i love drunk dre.

19. buggravy

buggravy

Loungin Since Apr '10

Does anyone here not do rows Pendlay style? I've got longish legs, and in order to bring the weight back to the ground with a flat back I'm really having to squat deep. I thought I'd get used to it, but it's just awkward. Seems to really put a strain on my lower back, and also forces my shoulders to roll forward at the bottom of the movement. All exacerbated in the warm up sets when I'm using smaller plates. Any tips?

20. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Your shoulders are supposed to roll forward at the bottom of the movement. They should be rounded out. When the bar is touching your chest at the top of the movement, your shoulders should be pulled back and your thoracic spine should be arched so as to achieve maximal lat contraction.

Your lower back strain isn't because you're tall. It's an uncomfortable position to be in for extended periods of time because it's pure, hellish isometric contraction of your spinal erectors. You're working your entire back -- it's not going to feel like swimming through a cloud of puppies soaked in warm honey.

I do barbell rows at the end of my back workout. Warm-up sets are not needed (I just did deadlifts and chin-ups). Use spacers plates if you have to or lift off a small platform.    

21. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

not sure what they're called but i like the rows that pull the bar up to my navel area more so than up to my chest.

22. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Pendlay Row:

(Lower back parallel, bar returns to the ground every time)

Bent Over Row:

(Note: that idiot does them reverse grip, which is intensely dangerous)

The second row is a good exercise if developing your upper back is your goal. The first is a better exercise for developing the entire back and building more "pull" strength.  

23. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

learn something new. daily

24. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

my calves are hurting like a bitch from my hike. butt is kinda sore, too. not my thighs though.. weird.

25. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

eva said:  my calves are hurting like a bitch from my hike. butt is kinda sore, too. not my thighs though.. weird.

Yeah, that's crazy. It's almost like the back side of your body is where you generate most of your strength or something...

26. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

hey larry, do you have a suggestion on how much weight a person should be adding weekly/monthly to maximize muscle gain?

i've been doing about 1lb per week but heard .5lb is even better as it allows the individual to stay on the "bulk" for a longer period of time.

27. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

That answer is different for everyone, and it depends on what your goals are. Some people want to pack on weight as fast as possible; some want to do it as lean as possible. The slower your gains, the more lean those gains are probably going to be.

You're going to have to experiment and see what works best for you. Don't get stuck on a number.

28. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

youknowlarry said:

eva said:  my calves are hurting like a bitch from my hike. butt is kinda sore, too. not my thighs though.. weird.

Yeah, that's crazy. It's almost like the back side of your body is where you generate most of your strength or something...

thanks

29. asianstick

asianstick

Loungin Since Mar '11
    Chicago

Questions for anyone in the know...

1. Should the small of my back be arched or flat when doing bench press? I consciously flatten it.

2. During deadlift, should each rep come from a complete stop/rest? Or should I tap the plates on the ground, body remaining contracted?

3. For proper cleans, am I supposed to drop the bar to the ground from the top? I'm uncomfortable doing that. So I've been returning to start position from the top by reversing the movement.

30. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Your lower back should be arched on bench. Your butt should never come off the bench but a slight arch is normal and proper, don't fight this.

Deadlifts can be done either way. I prefer to come to a dead stop each time, as in DEADlift... This is a little bit tougher and you have to be more on your technique since you're resetting each rep and the initial pull off the floor is where most injuries are going to come from. Touch and go style is perfectly fine though and i'll sometimes do my lighter warm-up sets like this.

For power cleans I don't think it really matters. I work out in a gym where i'd lose my membership for dropping weights, not an option for me. If you're doing multiple reps, dropping it doesn't really make sense to me. One rep... why the hell not assuming you're in a proper gym for it.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Teh Official Union Bindings Thread - 23152153154 4603 shralp matty 5 minutes
WTB: Burton Custom ICS 151-154 or Easy Livin' 2 heytchap heytchap 16 minutes
Sierra bankruptcy update.... - 23474849 1464 Spenser Spenser 23 minutes
frequency The Snowboarder's Journal | Asymbol Offer | 14/15 - 2 54 Wibby sometimesdylan 30 minutes
The Official 2015 Captains Log - 23678 227 LilTeichMonster sometimesdylan 31 minutes
Burton Con Artist - 23678 228 Supra passing gas 49 minutes
The Official CAPiTA Thread - 23210211212 6351 shralp highme 53 minutes
teh Portland thread - 23899091 2723 truckeebread highme 1 hour
Japan Pow - 23101112 355 Supra highme 1 hour
The Official 2016 Thread - 238910 282 whoisminishred Lomax 1 hour