• Latest reply from zkurd
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD   

youknowlarry said: Met some kids doing their second Starting Strength workout today. Helped them a bit with squats and deadlifts. Nice guys, and they seemed really eager to learn more.
    Thanks, Rippetoe.

nice guy you are when they aren't doing curls on the rack. hahaha =) 

2. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I'm always 100% super best nice guy.

3. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

excellent horse like larry

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

4. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I'm pretty offended right now.

5. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Legs today. First time back since the chaos of the 4th.

Also did some plyo, and played basketball. Very tired right now, but I have another chunk of work I have to get done.

6. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

PR across all exercises today!!!

also worked out in the same gym as peter north which was interesting to say the least. hahaha cool dude

7. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

JungleLarry needs surgery on his shoulder.

8. buggravy

buggravy

Loungin Since Apr '10

youknowlarry said: JungleLarry needs surgery on his shoulder.

Vibes, dude. What's your malfunction?

9. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Torn labrums. Doctor wants PT on one but thinks the other is going to need to be surgerized. I haven't decided if I care yet.

10. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

Tell him to stop being a pussy

11. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Exactly. It's more of an inconvenience than anything. He thinks it's the reason why I can't bench full-strength though.

12. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

I'm in the same place with my wrist....can't do one full pull up without being in a ridiculous amount of pain after. Good on most lifts though so I'm going to wait until I can get it check out at school for cheap.

13. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

jt said:  I'm in the same place with my wrist....can't do one full pull up without being in a ridiculous amount of pain after. Good on most lifts though so I'm going to wait until I can get it check out at school for cheap.

try some wrist wraps. lock them bitches down

14. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

I have to tape my wrists each time I climb.it works

15. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

Currently in the midst of another week off (2nd in the past 4). Bodybuilding program was a learning experience, but the volume was too high and we had absolutely no structure to what we were doing. Dumb. Although my squat and deadlift did go up about 10lbs, still a dumb and unsustainable way to train. Just another brick in the wall I guess.

Anyways, currently resting like a madman... ordered a copy of Jim Wenders book "5/3/1", and I will be starting that on Monday. I've been eyeing this program for a while now but was hesitant to commit to something with such a (relatively) slow progression. But I feel like I am now at the point in my lifting where any gains will come slow, no matter how I train. 5lbs a month on bench and ohp, 10lbs a month on squat and deadlift. We'll see how it goes but extrapolate that... I can do the math.

16. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

I am stupid sore again. I was supposed to go to the gym for upper body today but my lifting partner has to work. My resolution is to do a few hours of work (no motivation), and then get stoned and munch/rest for the remainder of the day.

17. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

18. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

jt said: I am stupid sore again. I was supposed to go to the gym for upper body today but my lifting partner has to work. My resolution is to do a few hours of work (no motivation), and then get stoned and munch/rest for the remainder of the day.

F that man, get your ass to the gym!

19. Eli9422

Eli9422

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ☮ne L☮ve

LOL @ Larry

20. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Beast mode: engaged.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

Also, it's good to have you back, oakwood!

21. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

youknowlarry said:
    Also, it's good to have you back, oakwood!

Hey, I never really went anywhere... I was still hitting all the big lifts, it was just the 16 sets of isolation crap after that that killed me. I am not on steroids, sometimes less is more. Which I pretty much knew before but sometimes it takes me twice to really learn something, unfortunately. Ahh experimentation.

22. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

oakwood-jones said:
    Anyways, currently resting like a madman... ordered a copy of Jim Wenders book "5/3/1", and I will be starting that on Monday. I've been eyeing this program for a while now but was hesitant to commit to something with such a (relatively) slow progression. But I feel like I am now at the point in my lifting where any gains will come slow, no matter how I train. 5lbs a month on bench and ohp, 10lbs a month on squat and deadlift. We'll see how it goes but extrapolate that... I can do the math.

5lbs is just the weight you are prescribed to hit. in theory your numbers could be higher because at the end of each week's set, and on the last 90% of your 1rm set you rep till failure. plus if you follow "boring but big" or "dave tate's periodization" you'll add in a ton of accessory reps.

it'll make more sense when you read the book.

23. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

24. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

dr-dre said:
     5lbs is just the weight you are prescribed to hit. in theory your numbers could be higher because at the end of each week's set, and on the last 90% of your 1rm set you rep till failure. plus if you follow "boring but big" or "dave tate's periodization" you'll add in a ton of accessory reps.
    it'll make more sense when you read the book.

Still waiting on the book to come so I'm slightly unclear on a few things, but I started the program today with a bench workout. On my final set that calls for 5+ reps I hit 13, probably could have hit 14 but I didn't have a spotter. I'm not sure if the 90% of your Max number that all your sets are calculated off of is 90% simply to account for peoples BS and egos or if it's 90% for some other reason... but I know all of my maxes fairly honest and precise and today it felt like I was working with very light weights. At this rate, on bench anyways it'll take me 6 months before i'm working with my current 5rm max, that seems like a ridiculously long buildup, not even accounting for any strength i gain during that period. We'll see when I get the book but either way I'll do the program as written.

25. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

It's only the first week of your first cycle, it should be easy. You wont hit the 90% of your 1RM till week 3. Did you see the spreadsheet I posted a page or two back?  

For some motivation...
    http://531year.blogspot.com/

26. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

zkurd said:  Go Annie!!
    http://games.crossfit.com/spectator-stream

I was watching the stream all morning and all the YT vids. Awesome to see Foucher make it on the podium. She's a fox and has great technique. Also cool to see Matt Chan finally make the podium. Surprising to see Maddox and Hendel didn't even make the last cut though, I had my money on both of them taking podium spots. /CFnerdiness

27. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

dr-dre said:  It's only the first week of your first cycle, it should be easy. You wont hit the 90% of your 1RM till week 3. Did you see the spreadsheet I posted a page or two back?  
    For s. ome motivation...
    http://531year.blogspot.com/

True. My only question is the 90% of 90% calculation. How concrete is that, or is that more to just account for BS in peoples estimates of their own strength? Even if i was working with 85% of my true Max today (vs. 90% of that), that's still a weight I can hit for 9 or 10, which is definitely more than the goal of 5...

Either way, if I'm hitting in six months for 13 what I can only hit for 5 now, that is definite progress.

28. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

It doesn't make sense that you can hit 90% of your 1RM for 10 reps.
    That would be pretty shitty progress for 6 months of work. i don't know if you're fully grasping the program.
    I can email you the book if you want a head start. I have it in PDF form.  

29. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

dr-dre said: It doesn't make sense that you can hit 90% of your 1RM for 10 reps.
    That would be pretty shitty progress for 6 months of work.i don't know if you're fully grasping the program.
    I can email you the book if you want a head start. I have it in PDF form.

Nah, 85% of my 1rm, which I can definitely hit for 8-10 reps guaranteed. I figure going from 5 reps to 13 reps with my current 5rm is equivalent to 25lbs or so on my 1rm. In six months, for me anyways, that is very good progress. And that's only on bench, I guess you double that for squat/deadlift. Haven't hit those lifts yet and haven't ran any numbers though.

Either way, i'm just overanalyzing, the program makes perfect sense to me. Whether I'm hitting maxes for 13 reps or 1 Rep, the progression is the same...

30. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

cool. whatever works for you.
    this spreadsheet is the best one i've found and lays out everything nicely in a printable format
    http://www.allthingsgym.com/2012/01/531-excel-spreadsheet-by-poteto-v1-28/

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Helping a fellow rider save his house . . . and his board collection. - 2 34 chucky hhaidar 17 minutes
biff out with your gif out - 23282930 885 contra Qurph 23 minutes
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23841842843 25273 TahoeChappy BlairW 32 minutes
The (ohFISHial?) Fish Thread - 23323334 995 Jneischen pillowhead 33 minutes
Doc, Ripitup - 2 34 geoffthemover shinobi 34 minutes
"Safety Meeting" - 23312313314 9420 Dave99 drjcv 35 minutes
The Mervin Mfg. Thread - 23111213 381 Bdawg pillowhead 37 minutes
Boards for ppl with ladybits 25 ShredBettyZoe gerry. 2 hours
The Official 2015 thread - 23747576 2271 whoisminishred Bielawski 10 hours
THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD - 23224225226 6766 JungleLarry zkurd 10 hours