• 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. DblFistin

DblFistin

Loungin Since Dec '09
    so cal

THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD   

youknowlarry said: Today at the gym:
    Three power racks. Three dudes doing barbell curls. I walk up to one of them...
    "No offense, but you're doing 95 lb curls on the power rack. There's a whole section of barbells over there that you can use."
    "What's it to you?"
    "You're in the way."
    He brushes me off and does his next set. I just stare at him. Mid-set, he drops the weight, says, "You know what, fuck it," and storms off.
    "Thanks, dude."
    "Go fuck yourself."
    Was I in the wrong? Don't answer that because I know I wasn't.

Lame! It's not like you own the gym

2. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

bboytommy said: thanks for the feedback/tips larry.
    will consider filming next time to get more input.
    for "extend the hips as much as possible" before the deadlift pull, im assuming you mean keep the hips high? i try not to let it drop when i get set and definitely feel a stretch on my hammies and glutes when bringing my shins to the bar and holding my hips high.

It's kind of difficult to explain, but I "push" my hips back. There's little-to-no movement involved, but the stretch/tightening is pretty intense.

3. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

dblfistin said:

youknowlarry said: Today at the gym:
    Three power racks. Three dudes doing barbell curls. I walk up to one of them...
    "No offense, but you're doing 95 lb curls on the power rack. There's a whole section of barbells over there that you can use."
    "What's it to you?"
    "You're in the way."
    He brushes me off and does his next set. I just stare at him. Mid-set, he drops the weight, says, "You know what, fuck it," and storms off.
    "Thanks, dude."
    "Go fuck yourself."
    Was I in the wrong? Don't answer that because I know I wasn't.

Lame! It's not like you own the gym

Yeah, that's what I wanted to tell him.

There was a rack of barbells that went in 5 lb increments all the way up to 135 right behind him. Fact: people who do curls/shrugs on the power rack deserve to die.

4. DblFistin

DblFistin

Loungin Since Dec '09
    so cal

I'd make your ass wait if it was me....and take my damn time.

5. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Probably because you're a dumbass too.

Look at it this way: if you pulled into a busy gas station on your way to work, how would you feel if the guy in front of you pulled up to a pump just so he could check his tire pressure? Would you say "Oh, it's okay. I don't own this gas station so he can take his sweet ol' time being an idiot." No. You'd lay into your fucking horn and probably shit yourself a few times.

6. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

i would say calling another guy out in the gym for curling in the squat rack is equally as douche-y as curling in the squat rack. it fucking drives me nuts but i just keep to myself. he pays a membership just like you and is entitled to use the facilities as he /she sees fit. nothing is funnier to me than guys getting all ego pumped and getting in each others faces at the gym over stupid shit.

7. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. I didn't interfere with his workout at all. He was interfering with anyone who wanted to use the equipment the way it was intended to be used. It's called "etiquette".

I don't care either way. I did my shit and he pissed off to do his curls. Win-win. Get upset about it.

8. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

9. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

#swoldier

10. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

My buddy is training to be a Navy SEAL and wanted to go for a "short run" this morning. What I thought was going to be a three mile track run turned into a ten mile trail run in the mid-day heat.

Haven't done that in years. If I'm too tired to lift heavy tomorrow I'm gonna be pissed.

11. buggravy

buggravy

Loungin Since Apr '10

So after yet another injury, a month off with PT, and a shoulder full of cortisone I've decided to completely retool my program, start from scratch, and try to unlearn a lot of bad habits and bad "knowledge". Had never looked at Starting Strength previously, but I've been pouring through that. The one thing that has surprised me is the recommended number of warm up sets prior to work sets. Even though the total rep count is low I wasn't expecting essentially 8 sets of most exercises, with 3 being work sets. Do most of you guys follow that approach? What kind of rest interval do you do between all those warm up sets?  

12. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

i use the main exercises from starting strength and only do about 2-3 warm up sets per exercise. might be a preference thing but I don't want to feel tired going into my working set from over warming up.

as far as rest goes between warm up sets, i just do them whenever i feel good. if i had to put a time on it, i'd say a minute between warm up sets (guess im just eager to get to the good stuff).

larry - any suggestions on what i can/should replace incline bench with? you mentioned earlier that it's not a very effective chest exercise. my chest is by far the most underdeveloped area and i would like to pair a exercise with flat bench in order to gain some mass there.

13. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Fattyboomboom

Need to get back into 'eat, train, sleep' mode. Last six months ain't been good for me. Going to be back on form and injury free for competition season next autumn.  

14. Joka17Wild

Joka17Wild

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Boston

Didn't Dorian Yates say that decline bench press is the most effictive chest excercise? Try this.

15. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Dorian Yates' credentials aside, I prefer weighted dips. After doing his program for a little while, I also disagree that progression in decline benching returns the same functional, whole-system strength gain that flat bench does. The motion of decline bench is done from a position that is unnatural and limits range of motion considerably.

That's not to say that it's a bad exercise. My experience just tells me differently than Mr. Yates.

tommy - Like you, my chest is the weakest part of my body (by a long, long way). I also train incline every week on my chest day, so I don't think you need to replace that exercise with anything in order to reach your goals. If your incline numbers are going up, you are making progress and becoming stronger.

That all being said, it seems like you're still in the beginning stages of strength-gaining and I don't think you need to worry about lagging muscle groups yet. When you can deadlift/squat 300+ for reps and your bench press still hasn't made any gains...then we'll take a look at what might be going wrong. For now, though, I think the best thing you can do is just keep attacking the routine that you have -- it seems well-balanced.  

16. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

bboytommy said:
    larry - any suggestions on what i can/should replace incline bench with? you mentioned earlier that it's not a very effective chest exercise. my chest is by far the most underdeveloped area and i would like to pair a exercise with flat bench in order to gain some mass there.

i know you asked larry, but here's my .02... incorporating a squeezing exercise like flyes or the pec deck might help. really though imo, bench is the GOAT upper body builder. and if you're already missing your rx'ed weights on SS, adding more volume isn't gonna help. the size will come my man, especially with your build. a full year of training and eating right and you'll look way more jacked than me. you gotta look at the big picture of 5 YEARS down the road, not just 5 days. Nobody every benched 315 with a small chest.  

17. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

fuck, i spent 13 minutes typing that out.

+1000 to weighted dips

18. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

buggravy said:  So after yet another injury, a month off with PT, and a shoulder full of cortisone I've decided to completely retool my program, start from scratch, and try to unlearn a lot of bad habits and bad "knowledge". Had never looked at Starting Strength previously, but I've been pouring through that. The one thing that has surprised me is the recommended number of warm up sets prior to work sets. Even though the total rep count is low I wasn't expecting essentially 8 sets of most exercises, with 3 being work sets. Do most of you guys follow that approach? What kind of rest interval do you do between all those warm up sets?  

technically with the program i do (Madcow 5x5) its 4 warm-up 1 working, so yes i do do the warm-up. on SS though i nixed a couple sets of the warm-up when i was at the end because the volume got to be too much, especially on squats and bench. instead i'd stretch, warmup a couple sets with the bar, stretch for a couple minutes again and then get right into it. i don't have any injuries though. you might want to be more careful.

19. buggravy

buggravy

Loungin Since Apr '10

dr-dre said:
     technically with the program i do (Madcow 5x5) its 4 warm-up 1 working, so yes i do do the warm-up. on SS though i nixed a couple sets of the warm-up when i was at the end because the volume got to be too much, especially on squats and bench. instead i'd stretch, warmup a couple sets with the bar, stretch for a couple minutes again and then get right into it. i don't have any injuries though. you might want to be more careful.

Thanks a lot for that link. I think I'm going to give this one a whirl instead of SS, since they're so similar. This computes a little better for me, and I was going to replace power cleans with rows in SS anyway, as I don't think my shoulder can tolerate power cleans right now.

I was going to add calf raises at the end of each work out as my only isolation movement, purely for aesthetics because I have chicken legs if I don't. Does that raise any red flags?

20. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

sounds fine to me. 531 is a nice option too if you wanna do 4 days/week and keep your progress slow and steady to protect your shoulder.

STRSTD.com

enter your maxes and then hit calculate 531 routine

21. asianstick

asianstick

Loungin Since Mar '11
    Chicago

I'm doing SS right now and I only do one warm up set, if that, before each working set. However I stretch very well beforehand and also every day. I just don't want to waste effort on warm-ups and then lag on the real sets.

22. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Warm-ups don't tire you out as much as stretching does.

A good warm-up will work you up to your top set. Aside from getting your muscles/nervous system fired up, it's a good time to remind yourself that the weight you're about to attack really isn't as heavy as you think it is.

I only warm up before my first exercise (deadlift, bench, or squat, depending on the day). Looks like this:

4 reps at 40% target weight for working set
    4 reps at 60%
    2-3 reps at 80%
    1 rep at 80% optional if I'm going heavy and need to psyche myself up.

I'll rest anywhere between 60 to 90 seconds for each warm-up set.

Without warming up like that I can't pull 405 off the ground. If I warm up like that, I can do it multiple times. It doesn't sap your strength.  

23. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

thanks for feedback larry and dre. will continue to think less and lift more. started lifting since april with changeover to SS in May. have gained 11lbs and it's not all on my stomach so i'm pretty happy about that. just gotta be patient with the size on the chest =)

i definitely agree about adding in a warm up set that's close to the work set. whether you do 1 rep or a few, going fairly heavy (close to your working set) helps prepare your body and mind to destroy the working set.

24. Mr_Tidbit

Mr_Tidbit

Loungin Since Sep '09
    SLC, @Mr_Tidbit

I made a time lapse video with my GoPro @ crossfit last night that turned out kind off cool.

http://www.facebook.com/v/10150966094018323
    (not sure why it won't embed?)

Warm Up:
    500m Row
    3 Rds.
    10 Push-ups
    20 Bent over rows 45/20 scale as needed
    30 Hollow Rocks
    Strength:
    Work up to a 3RM Bench Press
    WOD:
    5 Rds. 45/20 scale as needed
    10 Right Arm Push Press
    10 Left Arm Push Press
    10 Right Arm alternating Lunges
    10 Left Arm Alternating Lunges        

25. asianstick

asianstick

Loungin Since Mar '11
    Chicago

youknowlarry said: Warm-ups don't tire you out as much as stretching does.
    A good warm-up will work you up to your top set. Aside from getting your muscles/nervous system fired up, it's a good time to remind yourself that the weight you're about to attack really isn't as heavy as you think it is.
    I only warm up before my first exercise (deadlift, bench, or squat, depending on the day). Looks like this:
    4 reps at 40% target weight for working set
    4 reps at 60%
    2-3 reps at 80%
    1 rep at 80% optional if I'm going heavy and need to psyche myself up.
    I'll rest anywhere between 60 to 90 seconds for each warm-up set.
    Without warming up like that I can't pull 405 off the ground. If I warm up like that, I can do it multiple times. It doesn't sap your strength.  

I'm personally very far away from dragging 405#, but I'm sure as I get heavier, the warm up sets will become more important. I'm still building up to my "real" 5 rep max.

You warm up more than I max.

26. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Based on what I've read/experienced regarding pre-workout stretching:

- it doesn't prevent injury.
    - it doesn't prevent DOMS.
    - it doesn't increase ROM before your working set.
    - it doesn't prepare you to lift more weight.

But, if you're keen on stretching, incorporate some short, dynamic stretches in between your warm-up sets (not before; you shouldn't stretch a cold muscle). Otherwise, and according to Mark Rippetoe in Starting Strength, completing a full range of motion under load in a compound movement will provide enough stretching benefits.

Of course, everyone's different. If you feel like stretching helps more than warm-up sets then I can't really argue that.

27. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

being a track/cross country athelete in high school we never did static stretching before a running workout. there would always be a warm up jog (10-20 minutes) followed by some pylometrics before we sat down and did some stretching. then we did the crazy workouts, cool down (10-20 minute jog), and the real stretching.

i definitely suggest stretching after a workout vs. before. if you really want to stretch prior to lifting i would warm up with some reps or a jog before stretching. muscles are 'warm' that way.  

28. Mr_Tidbit

Mr_Tidbit

Loungin Since Sep '09
    SLC, @Mr_Tidbit

bboytommy said: being a track/cross country athelete in high school we never did static stretching before a running workout. there would always be a warm up jog (10-20 minutes) followed by some pylometrics before we sat down and did some stretching. then we did the crazy workouts, cool down (10-20 minute jog), and the real stretching.
    i definitely suggest stretching after a workout vs. before. if you really want to stretch prior to lifting i would warm up with some reps or a jog before stretching. muscles are 'warm' that way.  

We always do a warmup in crossfit that has either a Run, Row or Jump Roping as the first thing to loosen up and then 4-5 exercises to Stretch/loosen up the main areas we will be using during the Strength and WOD part of the night. At the end of the class we always roll out and stretch.

One thing that I have found that really helps a ton is compression; Shirts, Shorts, Arm/Calf sleeves, etc... They help you warm up quickly and keep your muscles loose and blood flowing during and after your workout and that really helps speed up your recovery. I noticed a huge difference in how my quads/hammys felt the following day after a back squat workout wearing a pair of compression shorts and have been rolling with it ever since.

29. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Met some kids doing their second Starting Strength workout today. Helped them a bit with squats and deadlifts. Nice guys, and they seemed really eager to learn more.

Thanks, Rippetoe.

30. buggravy

buggravy

Loungin Since Apr '10

Day 1 of the Madcow 5X5 today. I'm realizing I was doing things really wrong before. Not warming up enough, way over training, and with some incorrect form on a couple key movements. Benching without pain has me freaking out (like Larry said, thanks, Rippetoe). Really motivated and pumped to see what this yields in the coming months.  

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.