• Latest reply from pastaboy
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD   

looking into macronutrient cycling now. I hear ya though, I'm gonna see what works and what doesnt--its nice to have some direction though.

2. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

hey larry. just curious what your current goals are in relation to your workout routine. bulk/cut/etc?

jt said:

youknowlarry said: Your weight loss is going to be largely dependent on your diet. Cardio isn't an effective means of losing weight AND gaining strength.
    Weight lifting is though.

Do you think cardio might be hurting my potential strength gains? HIIT is acceptable though because it is mostly anaerobic, no?
    How much should I realistically be eating calories wise to still build muscle while losing weight?
    The running I do is not that easily avoidable because I don't have any other way to get to the gym frequently, but I don't want to overdo it.

you should know that our bodies r inefficient at losing weight and building muscle simultaneously.

the main function that any cardio activity serves (outside of improving heart efficiency/health/etc) is to burn calories or increase apetite. so if you really enjoy cardio or hiit then like larry said - incorporate it into your workout schedule. another reason to do cardio is to eat more calories. say you are eating at 2000 calories to lose weight without doing any cardio but you are hungry as F. adding cardio spends more energy and therefore allows you to eat at say 2400 (depending on how much cardio u do) and still lose weight as opposed to 2000 without cardio.

-dont sweat the jog to the gym. consider it a warm up.

-as far as calculating your caloric needs. here's a good foundation of thermal dynamics. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

3. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I'm currently doing a fairly standard recomp; cutting fat, gaining strength, losing minimal weight. I'll probably do this for another month or so then go on a lean mass gain phase for a few months (for my chest, mainly). Nothing drastic.

4. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

i ask because my routine is based on starting strength exercises like yours. curious if you could give me some input on whether it's good for hypertrophy as i'm a pretty slim guy and want to add some muscle mass

Workout A:
    -squat
    -overhead press
    -deadlift
    -row
    -dips

Workout B:
    -squat
    -bench press
    -hang cleans (still learning form, will go to power cleans once weights are heavy enough)
    -incline press
    -chin ups

everything 3x5. I alternate days like you. M, W, F, etc  

5. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I'm a firm believer that if you are becoming stronger and eating correctly, you will get bigger. To answer your question, I have zero intention of adjusting my workout in order to induce "hypertrophy". I will, however, change my diet.

I think you have a good looking routine. My only concern would be training squats and deadlifts on the same day. I've never been able to do it without feeling ineffective on the second exercise.

6. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

youknowlarry said: I'm a firm believer that if you are becoming stronger and eating correctly, you will get bigger. To answer your question, I have zero intention of adjusting my workout in order to induce "hypertrophy". I will, however, change my diet.
    I think you have a good looking routine. My only concern would be training squats and deadlifts on the same day. I've never been able to do it without feeling ineffective on the second exercise.

it makes sense that if you are lifting heavier (and form is the same) that your muscles are growing. I guess im trying to shake the broscience of having my shoulders grow without direct work besides OHP.

i'm still working my way up the weights on the deadlifts (since im learning a lot of these exercises for the first time, i focus a lot on form) so that may be a reason why i can do squats and deadlift back to back. I do feel tired after the workout and on rest days though. might come a time to replace/remove squats and only deadlift.

7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sprocking_Cat

Loungin Since Jun '10
    England

Got asked to leave the gym because I was wearing sandals. Apparently thin trainers will protect my feet if I drop 30kg on them.

8. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

Second workout post Holidaze this evening. Pretty much in beast mode (compared to fatty-boom-boom self that is). I just love that two weeks of rest and loads of eating benefits strength. Better not make this a habit though, hah.
    I seem to have peaked a bit in my deadlifts though :/

9. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

low bar back squat experts:

i recently discovered i had the bar above the spine of the scapula and now started holding it right below the spine of scapula. feel like i have a lot more "hip drive" (as riptoe would say) but lower back is pretty damn sore afterwards. not in pain, just sore imediately following the exercise. I'm confident the rest of my form is solid (eg going below parallel, driving up with hips, heels shoulder width apart, flat shoes). only concern would be where im looking, which changes between downwards or straight ahead.

normal for low back soreness or should i slow my roll and recheck form?

10. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

11. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

bboytommy said: low bar back squat experts:
    i recently discovered i had the bar above the spine of the scapula and now started holding it right below the spine of scapula. feel like i have a lot more "hip drive" (as riptoe would say) but lower back is pretty damn sore afterwards. not in pain, just sore imediately following the exercise. I'm confident the rest of my form is solid (eg going below parallel, driving up with hips, heels shoulder width apart, flat shoes). only concern would be where im looking, which changes between downwards or straight ahead.
    normal for low back soreness or should i slow my roll and recheck form?

If you adjust your leverages by changing where the bar is, you're going to be working different muscles (the movement changes). My squats left me with a sore back for the first few weeks or so, but they don't any longer. I'd keep rolling with it and see how it goes.

It's one of those things where you can't really tell what needs to be done unless you see it. It sounds like you've got it in check though.

12. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

did legs yesterday. fucking sore!!!

Squats are too painful for my collar bone though...did one or two and just couldn't hold the bar in place without being in a ridiculous amount of pain.

the routine:

dead lift (4x5)
    power snatch (4x5)
    Dumbbell squats balancing on a bosu ball (3x10)
    Weighted sled sprints (2 laps back and forth--fucking tiring)

13. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

larry - thanks for feedback. much appreciated

jt - keep up the hard work man

gonna kick back and enjoy some ben and jerries on my rest day while nerding out some more on nutrition science articles =)

14. Dr. Dre

Dr. Dre

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Tahoe

jt said:  
    Dumbbell squats balancing on a bosu ball (3x10)

da fuck?

15. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Haha. Oh man.

16. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Did them in physical therapy last summer...more for my knee than any strength really.

17. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Ditch the body ball. Ditch the dumbbells. Do leg press.

18. Eli9422

Eli9422

Loungin Since Aug '09
    ☮ne L☮ve

Squats?

Been working out pretty consistently for around a month now and definitely seeing some nice results, I've been doing the starting strength workouts and I've been making gains every week. Had a little episode of protein shake induced diarrhea but I think it was due to not eating much real food and drinking shakes  as a meal replacement (im a camp counselor and te food is void of nutrition, so much fried shit) started eating salad and chicken and I've been doing fine now. Gotta work on my squat and clean form but it's coming along, feelin good

19. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Today at the gym:

Three power racks. Three dudes doing barbell curls. I walk up to one of them...

"No offense, but you're doing 95 lb curls on the power rack. There's a whole section of barbells over there that you can use."
    "What's it to you?"
    "You're in the way."

He brushes me off and does his next set. I just stare at him. Mid-set, he drops the weight, says, "You know what, fuck it," and storms off.

"Thanks, dude."
    "Go fuck yourself."

Was I in the wrong? Don't answer that because I know I wasn't.

20. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

Jock

21. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

I wanted to keep the idiot's identity anonymous, but now that you've come forward...

22. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

I'm Fuck bagel #1

23. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

You're blacker than I imagined.

24. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09

(:

25. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

funny that im stuck at bench press but am progressing with incline press.

26. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Incline isn't a very effective chest workout. Your shoulders might be getting stronger while your chest lags a bit. Keep at it.

Today, I made muscles.

27. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

45-50km bike ride. I could feel my legs driving tonight already. Interesting what they will feel like tomorrow.

28. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

PR at 210lb deadlift and 190lb squats 3x5 yesterday.

really feeling it on my lower back today though.

29. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Like I said, it's normal to be sore in that area. But, you could also be experiencing some overstimulation due to some concentric/eccentric movements.

Squats and deadlifts are going to work your back isometrically. Ideally, you should be performing the exercises with a flat back. If you're rounding out at all, you're going to have problems. I know you've been working hard on your form so I'm not going to assume that's the case.

Some things to focus on with deadlifts specifically:
    - At no point during the lift, whether it's in the set-up or the actual movement, should you round your back.
    - When you're getting set to pull off the ground, extend your hips as much as possible to feel as much pull through your back/hamstrings as possible. This is a very uncomfortable position to be in for any significant amount of time and will rob you of energy, so do it quickly.
    - Keep your head up.

Squats:
    - Tight stomach.
    - Make sure you're pushing your hips up and in through the whole motion, all the way to the top.

30. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

thanks for the feedback/tips larry.

will consider filming next time to get more input.

for "extend the hips as much as possible" before the deadlift pull, im assuming you mean keep the hips high? i try not to let it drop when i get set and definitely feel a stretch on my hammies and glutes when bringing my shins to the bar and holding my hips high.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
the AG thread - 23121122123 3682 JP JP 1 hour
Your loving situation - 23255256257 7700 Horse Repairman JP 1 hour
[sticky] Welcome Newbz - check in here - 23484950 1489 shralp Lomax 2 hours
Random shred news and etc... - 23505152 1557 Junkshow illocon 3 hours
Ye Olde Skateboarding Thread - 23575859 1750 Spenser Spenser 3 hours
The Official 2015 thread - 23828384 2507 whoisminishred dood 3 hours
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23850851852 25548 TahoeChappy Duhg 4 hours
whisky picklez - 23242526 758 contra Mr_Tidbit 4 hours
letter from china ( part 2 ) 6 tianjin tianjin 7 hours
The Official Offspring (kids, not the band) Thread - 23373839 1152 peh760603 goggles 18 hours