• Started 4 years ago by JungleLarry
  • Latest reply from pastaboy
  • 1 Members Subscribed To Topic
take me to the bottom
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

oakwood-jones

Loungin Since Oct '09

THE ANAEROBIC AND ANABOLIC THREAD   

It's amazing how different each individual body is. Two guys I work with both just started lifting, both right about 6'1", 180. Both have never trained before. One dude is repping 225 for 4 on bench, natural athlete, the other one, 95 for 4... he's gonna need some work to say the least but the kid seems motivated anyways so he's in.  

2. Mac

Mac

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Seattle

I just started this new style called German Volume Training. It focuses on tempo and only doing the major lifts (bench, squats, deadlifts), and no concentrated lifts.

Let's see how this goes

3. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

oakwood-jones said:  It's amazing how different each individual body is. Two guys I work with both just started lifting, both right about 6'1", 180. Both have never trained before. One dude is repping 225 for 4 on bench, natural athlete, the other one, 95 for 4... he's gonna need some work to say the least but the kid seems motivated anyways so he's in.  

yeah
    last year when i was in my 5 times a week training mode and pulled my friend along with me i was losing weight steadily and she lost hardly any. and she didn't even eat bad or anything. very frustrating for her at the time.

and i bounce back with muscles super quick. definitely have it in my genetics to be more muscular/athletic than others.

4. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

jt said:

youknowlarry said: JT - I weighed 187 this morning. I am losing fat quickly, but I am not losing weight and my strength is going up. Summary: I won't be getting down to 175 because...I can't.  

haha ya there is a reason I haven't been weighing in...I have eaten like a fucking animal. I've actually gained weight. I'm sure if I went on a super strict diet for a week I'd be right back to where I was, but I don't want to do that.
    With that said, I'm in pretty good shape. I've still been active, surfing, beach volleyball, and HIIT. Skating and walking most places too. So I've gained weight but have only gotten more physically fit.
    My new game plan is to eat normal amounts, and lift while still doing sprints and running. Today I had a bowl of granola and milk with a banana and peanut butter. Then ran the mile and a half to the gym, lifted, and ran back.

My diet's not strict and I've been eating a lot as well. I've been eating a lot of desserts actually. Not doing any cardio, three days in the gym, and I'm just getting a lot more defined without losing weight (I've lost three pounds in the last five weeks).

Don't know how to explain it, but I'm just gonna stick to what I'm doing.

5. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

whatever works ya know! 'cept I actually have a good chunk more weight to lose. Time to walk down to the beach for some tower sprints.

6. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Just got done, it's gonna be a warm day...already mid 70's. Gonna go cool off in the water--looks like there are some fun waves!

7. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

speaking of waves. first day surfing in two years felt awesome today. my work in the gym n balance acquired from boarding definitely made it an easy transition into surfing.

8. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Bet it was awesome with this warm weather too! good to hear mang

Just got back from another workout. Did upper body, but anybody that has some advice on number of sets and reps, and what lifts to do specifically would be awesome!

We did 3 sets of 10 for the most part. I am trying to gain strength quickly, but also cut down on the body fat. I'm just a total noob at the gym since I haven't seriously lifted since football, which was a couple years ago.

Bench Press (4 sets of 5)
    Seated Rows (3 sets of 10)
    some type of pull ups(laying on the ground grabbing the bar and pulling up over it-3x10)
    Lat pull downs (3x10)
    Seated overhead press for shoulders (3x10)
    leg lifts for abs (laying down bringing legs up--3 sets of 20)
    Obliques exercise (holding a weight moving it side to side while balancing sitting down 2x40)

I mean, you can see how retarded I am when it comes to this shit right now. I don't want to be the idiot that doesn't have a clue in the gym so I'm going to read up a bit. Is there anything I should add to that? Is there anything I should get rid of? How many sets and reps should I be doing?

Help!

9. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

1. Simplify.
    2. Take three or four exercises that you want to focus on getting really strong, do them on separate days, and make them the focus of your routine (for me: bench, deadlift, and squat).
    3. Stop doing ab exercises. Do deadlifts and squats instead.
    4. Rep ranges are a matter of preference. I do two working sets (drop sets) for the big compounds, and use Starting Strength/Stronglifts protocol for accessory movements. Everyone is different, so find what gives you the best progress on a weekly basis.

I'll post my routine again...

Monday:
    * Deadlifts (2 x 5-8)
    * Weighted chin-ups (3 x 6-10)
    * Rows (5 x 5)

Wednesday:
    * Bench press (2 x 5-8)
    * Incline (3 x 6-10)
    * Tricep extensions (3 x 5)

Friday:
    * Squats (2 x 5-8)
    * Hamstring curls (3 x 8-12)
    * Military press (3 x 5)

Workout lasts 30-40 minutes. Two minutes rest between sets. 3-5 minutes rest between exercises. Focus is on speed and intensity.

Obviously, you're going to have exercises you enjoy more so I'd encourage you to do those. Maybe you don't like squats; do leg press instead.  

10. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

11. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Awesome, thanks Larry!  

And those are some nice jugs...you know the nice thing about workin out with arrannngge juice is....

12. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

and now I have that fucking song stuck in my head. Goddammit.

13. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

We're at war with the weights, man.

Today's gym experience:
    1. Some random fuckbagel came over and started helping me on my bench press because he thought I was "struggling too much". Of course, I'm struggling, jackass; I'm trying to get stronger. Leave my fucking bar alone.
    2. Some other guy starts lecturing me about how I need to eat six small, evenly spaced out meals every day and take in a certain amount of protein before I go to the gym and eat so many carbs after...then goes on to compliment how I look and how he wants to look like me. Tip #1, dick breath: quit it with the broscience.
    3. A fat Mexican kid wearing Beats headphones taking pictures/video of himself doing 20 lb dumbbell curls.
    4. New PRs everywhere.

14. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

I need to do squads again.  

15. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Can you at least ask my permission before you post pictures of me on here?

16. Eva

Eva

Loungin Since Aug '09
    World nomad

Your ass should not be covered in yoga pants!

17. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

That was taken just moments before I flexed my butt right out of them.

18. bboytommy

bboytommy

Loungin Since Mar '11
    So Cal

funny stories man. i had a dude tell me i shouldnt go below parallel on low bar back squats because it'll f up my knees...

convos with broscientists are the worse. i try to explain thermal dynamics and they still laugh at me for eating ice cream over steel oats.

JT- what larry mentioned is pretty good. since you are at the beginner stages, you'll pretty much progress with any type of muscle stimulus.

good reads for getting back into it/beginners (like me): http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-3.html

19. pete_moss

pete_moss

Loungin Since Jan '12
    Cincinnasty, OH

Note to self: Incorporate the word "fuckbagel" into everyday usage.

20. zkurd

zkurd

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Tengo mi pistola y dientes de oro

First WO in two weeks tonight. All I've done the past two weeks is eat, drink and smoke weed. This gonna be good.

21. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

good looks tommy!

Finally stepped up to adding one more interval into the tower sprints today. Took me a couple workouts to get to the point that after the 4th sprint I wasn't dieing. I mean, a full minute sprinting in soft sand is ridiculously tiring.

Recovery times are getting much better, and I'm really starting to feel like I'm in decent shape. Woke up in an odd mood. Now I feel great.

22. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

zkurd said:All I've done the past two weeks is eat, drink and smoke weed. This gonna be good.

This was the start of my summer...was nice, but also felt like a sack of shit.

23. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

jt said:  good looks tommy!
    Finally stepped up to adding one more interval into the tower sprints today. Took me a couple workouts to get to the point that after the 4th sprint I wasn't dieing. I mean, a full minute sprinting in soft sand is ridiculously tiring.
    Recovery times are getting much better, and I'm really starting to feel like I'm in decent shape. Woke up in an odd mood. Now I feel great.

If you're going to be doing HIIT regularly, I would recommend you choose to do a lighter workout in the gym than the one I posted above. You'll burn out way too fast if you try to go 6-7 days a week of working out at full pace.

24. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

So HIIT one day and then 3 miles light running/lifting the next day would be too much?

Of course, I tend to not keep it regular for all that long. Weekends will be my rest days most likely.

I'm just trying to continue losing weight while also getting a lot stronger because I'm pathetically weak right now.

25. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

Your weight loss is going to be largely dependent on your diet. Cardio isn't an effective means of losing weight AND gaining strength.

Weight lifting is though.

26. F18

F18

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Let's Shred Ostie d'Calisse!

I've been playing soccer 2x / week and riding my bike ~3-4x / week. Cardio is getting good. Now I want to incorporate a more steady pull-ups, push ups, dips and military overhead presses routine into it. I stand just below 180lbs and I'm feeling good. I would like to get sexier when I'm nekked.

27. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

youknowlarry said: Your weight loss is going to be largely dependent on your diet. Cardio isn't an effective means of losing weight AND gaining strength.
    Weight lifting is though.

Do you think cardio might be hurting my potential strength gains? HIIT is acceptable though because it is mostly anaerobic, no?

How much should I realistically be eating calories wise to still build muscle while losing weight?

The running I do is not that easily avoidable because I don't have any other way to get to the gym frequently, but I don't want to overdo it.

28. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

jt said:
    Do you think cardio might be hurting my potential strength gains? HIIT is acceptable though because it is mostly anaerobic, no?

Those are both difficult questions to answer because it's all hugely dependent on your body's own tolerances and what your goals are. For example, professional athletes incorporate high- and low-intensity cardio workouts while also doing regular weight lifting. Of course, they also have teams of trainers/nutritionists around to custom tailor their workouts to fit their needs. For someone who is just getting back into the swing of things (such as yourself), I'd say there's no need to do cardio at all, save for some walks on the beach on your off days or something.

For me, I know I need at least two days between my back day and leg day (I need to separate deadlifts and squats). That's why I give myself the whole weekend to recover and separate the two days with a chest day in between. So, by that reasoning, I have three days a week that I'm in the gym. Doing cardio on my workout days is a complete no-go for me -- I don't need that level of activity and the two just sap intensity from one another. Doing HIIT on my rest days is also off the menu because that just takes away from recovery time; I don't need to snap my buttcheek just because I'm trying to sneak in some extra calorie burn.

Long story short: if you keep your intensity high in the gym, just leave the cardio out of it. If one of your goals is to also increase your cardiovascular abilities, speed, endurance, etc...then you're going to need to shuffle your workout a bit in order to accommodate for all that activity. Don't overtrain.

jt said:
    How much should I realistically be eating calories wise to still build muscle while losing weight?

I'd focus on not letting your daily calorie intake dip below 2,000 calories. Anywhere between that and 2,500 and you should see fair strength increases while also losing a moderate amount of weight. That's just a very general guideline, and will have to be tailored to your own specific needs.

jt said:
    The running I do is not that easily avoidable because I don't have any other way to get to the gym frequently, but I don't want to overdo it.

Going for a jog isn't going to kill you. Just listen to your body.   

29. J.T.

J.T.

Loungin Since Aug '09
    beer me

Gotcha, thanks again for all the info! Bsically what I need to do is just figure out what works best for me and go with that. Only problem is that might take some time as I have no idea what works best for me.

eh, I'll figure it out.

30. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

My recommendation is to get in three solid days in the gym, keep your diet in check, and ditch the cardio. Experience taught me that most men really don't have any business trying to squeeze out the fat-burning benefits of cardio until they've hit sub-10% body fat. You'd be better off using your off days being productive, eating right, and resting than doing any amount of cardio activity.

Along those same lines, you might want to take a peek into the wild world of macronutrient cycling; it's unreasonable to assume that your carbohydrate requirements on rest days are the same as those on your workout days.

I'm really doing everything I can to not explicitly tell you exactly what to do because I don't want you to think that my method is the only one (or even the best one, for that matter).

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
I`m going fishing - 23252627 787 Dave99 RIPITUP 28 minutes
Ze Record Collecting thread. 14 AZAspades AZAspades 37 minutes
ultrafear 4 airplaneinmysoup Spenser 58 minutes
Man's (and woman's) best friend - 23686970 2079 El Duderino Spenser 1 hour
The Official Random Thoughts Thread - 23851852853 25562 TahoeChappy 7trees 2 hours
Random shred news and etc... - 23515253 1581 Junkshow Spenser 4 hours
The Official 2015 thread - 23838485 2521 whoisminishred ihriep 5 hours
Teh Official Dealz Thread - 23147148149 4467 HLC123 Krazylegz1485 5 hours
Quick Powder Trip Thoughts? 5 Lionel Hutz RIPITUP 6 hours
Home Ownership Appreciation Thread - 23454647 1404 shralp Lionel Hutz 6 hours