• Started 2 years ago by dylanpipe
  • Latest reply from Spencer
take me to the bottom
  1. shralp

shralp

Loungin Since Aug '09
    vehicle of mass poder destruction

Help with picking out a mac   

How does an Ipad handle video editing on imovie? Doable?

2. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

???

3. rgrwilco

rgrwilco

Loungin Since Jan '10
    jersey

shralp said: How does an Ipad handle video editing on imovie? Doable?

iPad 2 will edit 720p but imovie is a bit limited. For gopro edits and stuff like that its fine. The new iPad will handle 1080p. Just put your SD card into the camera connection kit and go from there. There is also an avid studio app for ipad as well.

4. Billy

Billy

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Mammoth

gerry said: I suppose linear may have been the wrong word choice, timeline based editor is more accurate, but I kind of see them as the same thing, one is just the more modern version.

i see what you are saying. Premiere and final cut are pretty much identical though both have a timeline or sequence where you can drag and drop clips with multiple audio tracks and video tracks. I've never used imovie so I cant comment on that.

5. chucky

chucky

Loungin Since Jan '10

Unless you really NEED the portability, go for an iMac over a Macbook Pro.

You want to work in a visual medium - so go with as big a screen as you can afford. Either iMac would be fine (21.5" and 27"), but both are easily more preferable than even a 17" Macbook Pro. Besides the processors and screens, it's important to remember that the iMacs rock more powerful video cards.

This is the best way to shop for Macs - I've been buying refurbished for years, and they're very reliable and GREAT value for money.

As far as software goes - throw on an eyepatch, a peg leg and a parrot on your shoulder, and start plundering.

6. rgrwilco

rgrwilco

Loungin Since Jan '10
    jersey

^Refurbs also come with the same warranty as a new machine (if you buy from apple's refurb store). You can also add apple care to them as well.

7. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

Okay, so my laptop broke. My brother dropped it and the screen like come apart from the keyboard. I wasn't devastated.
    SO now I really do need a new computer,a mac.
    And my mom said she will most likely help pitch in for a new one.
    I am in between an Imac 21.5 and macbook pro 13 inch. I dont NEED a macbook pro as moving around isnt a necessity for me.. But, ive read that surprisingly a mcb as jsut as much or more power than an i mac for video editing purpses. I will need to keep it under $1,000 for sure.
    I will be editing from my t2i, and I was thinking I should get an external harddrrive for all my video clips to keep off my desktop and in case it were to crash I wouldnt loose all my clips.

side note.- all my iPhone shit is on my now broken laptop, if I were to sync it with a new mac will I lose everything on my iPhone?  

8. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

You can just buy a new monitor/tv to still be able to use your old MacBook.

9. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

10. mcbain

mcbain

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Blast Beat Go!

11. passing gas

passing gas

Loungin Since Aug '09
    I need 100 black coffins for 100 bad men.

F1nut's 1st post isn't showing up, but new MBP's are dropping soon (like any day).

12. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

I don't already have a mcb, I had an old crappy compaq.

13. rgrwilco

rgrwilco

Loungin Since Jan '10
    jersey

dylanpipe said:
    side note.- all my iPhone shit is on my now broken laptop, if I were to sync it with a new mac will I lose everything on my iPhone?  

Why arent you backed up to icloud?

14. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

iDontknow

15. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

ARE MACBOOKS MADE IN KOREA?

IF NOT, BULLSHIT.

16. chucky

chucky

Loungin Since Jan '10

dylanpipe said: I am in between an Imac 21.5 and macbook pro 13 inch. I dont NEED a macbook pro as moving around isnt a necessity for me.. But, ive read that surprisingly a mcb as jsut as much or more power than an i mac for video editing purpses. I will need to keep it under $1,000 for sure.

I will be editing from my t2i, and I was thinking I should get an external harddrrive for all my video clips to keep off my desktop and in case it were to crash I wouldnt loose all my clips.

If you don't NEED portability, then definitely go with the iMac.

Compare these two:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC309LL/A

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD313LL/A

For $70 more (the iMac) you get a MUCH more practical (for video editing) screen size and resolution (21.5" vs. 13" - and 1920 x 1080 pixels vs. 1280 x 800 pixels), AND superior video memory (the 384Mb video memory on the Macbook Pro is shared with the main memory, whereas the 512Mb video memory on the iMac is a standalone AMD Radeon HD 6750M video card). The iMac has a faster i5 processor, and it's Quad-Core (vs. Dual-Core in the Macbook Pro).

The choice is easy.  

17. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

So which external should I get first, like how much memory is a good benchmark, and firewire 800? Since the mac will take most of my money, could i put my t2i files on the internal hard-drive for a little while and then put them on an external?

Lastly, Me and my buddies are filming like a summer movie about a typical vermont summer. And I wont have my mac for another 2-3 weeks im guessing so hes putting the video files on his mac( we will both edit and see who makes a "better" edit) but, how could i get the video files off of his mac later?

18. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

If you're going MacBook, you can probably survive without an external for a little while, you'd be good on the desktop, though.

As for transferring, a FireWire should do the trick or you could just get an external now, have your friend pit the files on there, and then just take that.

19. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

Im going with the 21.5 Imac!

20. matty

matty

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Seattle

You could always use a thumb drive. They're cheap and portable. You can get a 32 GB one for less than $20:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220646

From what I've been able to find out about the T2i's video file format:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T2I/T2IVIDEO.HTM
    you should be able to put about 90 - 100 minutes of unconverted 1080p video on a 32 GB thumb drive.

For an external drive, I would get at least 1 TB. You can do that for under $100. That should allow you to store at least 50 hours of default-format 1080p footage from your T2i.

21. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

Rad! thats exactly what I neede matty. thanks a ton

22. matty

matty

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Seattle

No problem! I'm just jealous of your cool new iMac!

By the way, if you don't already shop on newegg.com, I really recommend them for parts and peripherals. Their prices are excellent, and I've never had any problems with them with returns or shipping. They also have extensive, fairly detailed reviews on a lot of products from pretty knowledgeable customers. You'll even see replies to the negative reviews from manufacturing reps.

23. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

On the editing side. I'll probally have to stick with iMovie for a while since I relaly wouldnt have extra money after buying an iMac.( and I am in a video production class in high school, where I will be using fcp)

And I havent edited on a mac or imovie before and am curious about some things. Is there a good color correction intergrated?

Is there anyway I could accomplish this video color/style-

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

Are there film burns with imovie or would you need to download those?
    Lastly, is there any **illegal** ways to get fcp, after effects etc? that wouldnt give you a virus?

24. Spencer

Spencer

Loungin Since Dec '09
    California

PM'd you Dylan

Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Official Airblaster thread - 23176177178 5338 shralp EMHM00 7 minutes
Random shred news and etc... - 23636465 1938 Junkshow MEMPHIS 23 minutes
Powzer Board Quiver - 23545556 1677 shralp spoonfish 32 minutes
[sticky] [sticky] pizza, wtf do you like on it? - 23161718 512 contra bigwillystyle 59 minutes
The Denver thread - 23262728 831 Deucen zkurd 1 hour
FS- 13 Capita Outdoor 158 $120 7 gunslinger gunslinger 1 hour
frequency The Snowboarder's Journal | Asymbol Offer | 14/15 - 2 43 Wibby Wibby 2 hours
Letz talk about the Weather - 23515253 1582 shralp sometimesdylan 2 hours
[sticky] splitboard/ transceiver questions - 23678 232 vancouver Supra 3 hours
Edumacashon - 23979899 2959 red baron J.T. 3 hours