• Started 2 years ago by dylanpipe
  • Latest reply from Spencer
take me to the bottom
  1. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

Help with picking out a mac   

I'm looking for a macbook of some sort for video editing. I am using a t2i, so I will want it to be able to edit smoothly with 1080 and 720 HD. Currently, I am filming and having someone else edit, but I would like to edit them my self. I will be using Imovie to edit, since buying the mac would not be cheap. Also is there something you shoudl do to the t2i files because they are really big to make editing more smooth? And down the road what editing program should I get, like what's the diffrence between Final cut pro and after effects?

thanks,
    Dylan

2. contra

contra

Loungin Since Aug '09
    so this is finally public

get a pc
    /thread
    /dre  

3. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

it's a huge waste of your money to buy a mac for editing if you're just going to use imovie.  

if you've had trouble editing HD files in the past, it's because your hardware/software is not up to snuff with handling HD video files. a mac is most likely an upgrade in that department from what you currently have, but it's not this simple.. also, all the good hardware/software in the world is NOT going to result in good edits.

4. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

I would most likely start with Imovie and then upgrade, since editors are quite pricy if I remember correctly. Im just curious what specs I should look for when buying one.
    On a side note, I am going to be in a video production tech class next year at school, for 2 hours every day so I will get a much much better handle on filming, editing and all that jazz. So next year our edits should be a lot better in that aspect anyway.

5. Spenser

Spenser

Loungin Since Aug '09
    Juneau, AK

trick your parents into buying it for you

6. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

spenser said: it's a huge waste of your money to buy a mac for editing if you're just going to use imovie.  

this.

it's the software that really makes the difference in video production. and all the good stuff is available for macs & PC. after that you just need to make sure your comp can handle the file size/quality, which, again, any new laptop should be able to handle, mac or PC.

i'm a mac dude, but all i have on mine is imovie, and it's terrible for video stuff compared to when i was using Premiere on a PC last summer.

getting a mac will help you "fit in" to the design/production crowd, and is pretty much required that you at least know how to operate one if you want to go into that field, but for personal stuff, go with whatever you like.

as far as final cut vs after effects: they are both non-linear editors (unlike imovie & Premiere, which are linear, ie you edit the movie beginning to end, scrolling/scrubbing along the timeline), so take that into consideration. i prefer linear. after effects is meant for doing what it is named: adding effects, but also functions as a movie editor. so unless you plan on doing fancy digital alterations, i'd stick to final cut or premiere.

7. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

spenser- haha I wish my parents would buy one for me, no chance.

And I already have quite a lot of expirence using mac's in general, i've been using one this whole school year in photography class and have a pretty good use with photoshop even though that has nothing to do with video. And this summer all the money I make at a summer job is going to a mac( im pretty set on getting a mac, just want some more info on specifics) and getting a new lens for my t2i, most likely a 50mm prime.

8. alexxx

alexxx

Loungin Since Sep '09
    snowboarding>summer

get a 15 in mac book pro and start with imovie and move on to final cut express or final cut pro. the best affordable pro-grade video editing software on the market right now. i bet that's what your video class peeps would recommend as well
    i have a couple of editor friends and they actually use 17 in mbp's for work, never heard a complaint from them
    applestore online has closeout deals and back to school specials that would make this "investment" a bit easier to stomach

9. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

I would get the 15" Pro. I am currently on a 24" iMac Desktop which works great.

10. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

A basic Macbook with a few upgrades and a big ass external hard drive would probably work fine. Just keep all the video on the extra drive and it wont bog you down.

11. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

I've been checking out craigslist, and have found multiple macbooks pro 15inch, with 2 gb and 4gb of ram, is that enough?

12. chrisv

chrisv

Loungin Since Aug '10

im on a 15in macbook pro with 4gb of ram and an i7 core dual core processor. i run final cut with hd footage. imovie is just an apple moviemaker so if ur going to switch to mac just for editing you might want to wait until you have the money for fcp to(you could always torrent it). mine is 3 years old and the new macbooks should be fine for what you are doing

13. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

word, thanks man. Yeah i am deffinatly going to get FCP at somepoint.

14. JP

JP

Loungin Since Aug '09
    eh BC

don't get the new version of fcp its crap  

15. Billy

Billy

Loungin Since Sep '09
    Mammoth

gerry said:
    as far as final cut vs after effects: they are both non-linear editors (unlike imovie & Premiere, which are linear, ie you edit the movie beginning to end, scrolling/scrubbing along the timeline), so take that into consideration. i prefer linear. after effects is meant for doing what it is named: adding effects, but also functions as a movie editor. so unless you plan on doing fancy digital alterations, i'd stick to final cut or premiere.

First off this is wrong. Premiere and iMovie are both NLE's as well. Linear editing would be something like tape to tape and is pretty much dead, not something you would be using with a digital camera.

As for my opinion of software It really depends on what you want to do and how far you want to go in the industry. I would learn FCS 3 first. Any job you apply for will ask if you know that first and it's a great place to start. Learn everything from motion to color and soundtrack pro as they are still the industry standards. FCP X is junk, but there are lots of rumors floating around that upgrades are coming and it will regain its place on top of the NLE throne. One small annoyance if you are using DSLR footage is you will have to transcode all of it to apple prores through a program like mpegstream clip. Not a major problem just an extra step in the workflow.

Next is Avid which is another one of the top NLE's out there. I don't have much experience with it but it has been the number two program for quite a while. A lot of companies will ask if you know this as well but as long as you know final cut you should be good to go.

Last is premiere pro. It is easily my favorite of the three. It's mercury playback engine and dynamic linking have made my life much easier, especially working with DSLR footage. Before CS5 came out it was never quite right but CS5 and after are amazing. Not having to render or transcode every bit of footage is amazing. just being able to plug drop and go is amazing. You can export as an XML even if you need to use FCP or anything like that ( I use it for plural eyes all the time). It even links up with Avid im pretty sure but ive never used it. You can even set all the hot keys up to be the same as FCP. It could become the new industry standard and there has definitely been a shift in that direction but I would still say more people use the old FCP. My office is still split 50/50 on what people would rather use. I was very hesitant to switch over but about a year ago I did and havent done a personal project in FCP since. My office did some beta testing for cs6 and being able to use warp stabilzer right in premiere is amazing especially with dslr footage. I used that with a glidecam shoot i had last week and it made me look like a pro even though I still not very good with a glidecam.

While After effects can be used as a NLE it should only really be used for composting and motion graphics. It is simply slower and not built to handle footage like FCP or Premiere are. I would definitely recommend learning it though somewhere down the line for some project you will want to do some fancy effects and it is the best.

After that there are still all sorts programs ranging from 3d to color grading to sound and each of them will have pros and cons for each of them but I would recommend learning basic NLE first unless you really want to go into one of those fields.

For a computer I would look into refurbished macs. they tend to be pretty cheap and usually have some great parts. I use a 3 year old 17" MBP and it handles most things prety well. anything short of 3d animations or a real heavy after effects file and i never have many problems. granted when I work on other computers it renders out faster but on mine I can still play back native footage in real time as long as i turn the quality down a little bit. If you can find a 15" with thunderbolt that would be the way to go. If not just buy a couple big firewire externals and edit off of those. You could also go the PC route. One of my good friends who is an after effects genius swears by his pc. I don't know a whole lot about them as I have been using macs for quite a while now since I had to run FCP. But beware if you do you go the PC route Macs are again what most of the industry uses. Every job I've had we have used macs (but then again we all use FCP too so that might change).

Sorry this is really long and rambley im just writing things as the come to me and if you dont feel like reading it all just get a 15" MBP with 4gb of ram and a 2.5ghz processor and a copy of FCP7 and that will be a great starting place.  

Edit: just saw you sent me a pm dylan. I will get to that when I have a chance.    

16. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Tip I learned about iMovie. Go back and download an archive version of iMovie 6 HD. Guess it has more options and effects before they dumbed it down.

Also if you're into it check out this article. Hackintosh

Lastly I ordered some parts from these guys and got a full catalog. Some pretty awesome stuff in here. MacSales

17. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

I suppose linear may have been the wrong word choice, timeline based editor is more accurate, but I kind of see them as the same thing, one is just the more modern version.

18. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

Sweet, thanks a lot guys.
    Billy- Wow, that's a lot of really usefull info. Really stoked on all that. Would it make more sense to get premiere pro if I were to stick with DSLR, like does rendering and transcoding start to take up a lot of time? And, I saw that FCP and Premiere are in the 100-500$, do you guys all buy them, or is there a way to get a free version that is complete, by like stealing off the internet?

19. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

Torrentz fo lief!

But really, Pirate Bay has a download for everything.

20. chrisv

chrisv

Loungin Since Aug '10

jp said: don't get the new version of fcp its crap  

im on fcp7, but i dont think fcpx its complete crap, maybe for professionals, but for the average consumer/prosumer it has the features you want that you dont get in imovie and not as many that you dont want or are confusing. a plus with fcpx is that you can ramp right in final cut without having to go use after effects  

21. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Dylan there are academic software places online that sell soft ware for 80% off with a scan if your student id.

22. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

boy said:  Dylan there are academic software places online that sell soft ware for 80% off with a scan if your student id.

shit, really? I never knew about that at all, and at 80% off I would deffinatly give them money. Do you know where, becuase I looked on apple and couldn't find it anywhere.  

edit: found a site, but most of the editors are still around 300$

23. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Academic Superstore. They aren't all super discounted but a lot of them are. Yes they are still expensive put in the case of the Avid pack on this site it goes from $2200 to $280. Just an idea. Also can't you write some of this off for your taxes?
    Academic Superstore

24. Boy

Boy

Loungin Since Oct '09
    Mt. Hood

Also get a catalog sent to you from both Bhphoto.com and Macsales.com They are both really good resources for ideas and new products you can start looking for on ebay and other places. Macsales had some amazing setups for memory and video editing setups.

25. snowbrdr1

snowbrdr1

Loungin Since Nov '10
    East Coast

I got the higher end 13" macbook pro for college (I'm a video major). It's definitely worth it. I have final cut pro and I love it. Start simple and get used to using programs like Imovie first. Final cut pro takes quite awhile to get used to. Make sure that you don't get Final cut X. It's pretty much just a little more advanced imovie. Final cut pro is the way to go. Also, if you're buying it for school, apple has a program where you can get 100$ off the computer and 100$ in the mac app store. I also have a 27" Imac as my desktop mac, but I'm doubting you'd like to drop that much money on a mac.

26. matty

matty

Loungin Since Sep '10
    Seattle

You may want to wait for a couple of months. New stock of MacBooks has been dwindling lately, and the rumor is that room is being made to release updated versions in the next couple of months. This would mean that if you wait until the Summer, you could either get the same computer available now for $100s less, or get a newest-version MacBook with updated specs at roughly the same price that you would spend now.

Increased screen quality (retina displays on MacBook pros?), better battery life, higher-quality motherboards (running better and faster RAM?), latest-generation video cards (the AMD 6670M is looking a little dated with the release of their new 28nm chips...), and next-gen Intel 22nm ivy bridge processors are all rumored. If true, this could mean USB 3.0 support and possibly even faster thunderbolt connectivity with new motherboard bios firmware and bus/controller modifications. It could also mean that waiting two months to buy will effectively see your computer's hardware be one or two years "newer" than what is available now...

Oh, and OSX Mountain Lion releases this summer, too. Not that you wouldn't just upgrade to it regardless of when you bought your computer...

http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/23/intel-officially-launches-22nm-ivy-bridge-processors-will-likely-add-improved-av-usb-3-0-more-to-future-macs/  

27. dylanpipe

dylanpipe

Loungin Since Jan '10
    Vermont

I only have 300$, and am still applying for summer jobs. so most likely it won't be for a couple months anyway.

28. Hip Bag

Hip Bag

Loungin Since Oct '11
    a parking lot

snowbrdr1 said: I got the higher end 13" macbook pro for college (I'm a video major). It's definitely worth it. I have final cut pro and I love it. Start simple and get used to using programs like Imovie first. Final cut pro takes quite awhile to get used to. Make sure that you don't get Final cut X. It's pretty much just a little more advanced imovie. Final cut pro is the way to go. Also, if you're buying it for school, apple has a program where you can get 100$ off the computer and 100$ in the mac app store. I also have a 27" Imac as my desktop mac, but I'm doubting you'd like to drop that much money on a mac.

Last I checked most desktops were cheaper than laptops? Atleast when you start to stray away from base models.

29. gerry.

gerry.

Loungin Since Oct '09
    parking lots.

same is true for macs, you can save $100, gain 12 inches of screen & 500gigs of memory for a 27" iMac vs 15" Macbook pro.

30. YouKnowLarry

YouKnowLarry

Loungin Since Feb '11
    butholz

hip-bag said:

snowbrdr1 said: I got the higher end 13" macbook pro for college (I'm a video major). It's definitely worth it. I have final cut pro and I love it. Start simple and get used to using programs like Imovie first. Final cut pro takes quite awhile to get used to. Make sure that you don't get Final cut X. It's pretty much just a little more advanced imovie. Final cut pro is the way to go. Also, if you're buying it for school, apple has a program where you can get 100$ off the computer and 100$ in the mac app store. I also have a 27" Imac as my desktop mac, but I'm doubting you'd like to drop that much money on a mac.

Last I checked most desktops were cheaper than laptops? Atleast when you start to stray away from base models.

Pound-for-pound, absolutely.

31. 2011 Burton Restricted
Save More $$$ - Today's DamOutlet Deal

back to top of the page

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Topic - click here for more Latest Topics Posts Author Last Poster Freshness
Watch "Higher" for 24 hours 14 ILboarder12 Lomax 4 minutes
Boot quest. 17 89c51 Lomax 13 minutes
The official Never Summer thread - 23678 229 JpBergeron JpBergeron 28 minutes
Official Airblaster thread - 23177178179 5342 shralp Jerms 56 minutes
[sticky] splitboard/ transceiver questions - 23789 246 vancouver Lomax 1 hour